Logout

Alt-N Discussion Groups > Outlook Connector Discussion Groups > Outlook Connector Support > Doubled attachments?

 [F] Alt-N Discussion Groups  / Outlook Connector Discussion Groups  / Outlook Connector Support  /

Doubled attachments?

Recently I've had users complaining of duplicate attachments. It appears to be happening randomly but tends to seem to happen with PDFs. That is to say: I have yet to see it happen with anything other than PDFs.

There does not appear to be a rhyme or reason. Different versions of Outlook (2016, 2010) different senders, recipients.

It happened to me this morning.

Sound familiar to anyone? Thanks!

  (older msg: 12)All MessagesOldest ItemsOlder ItemsNewer ItemsNewest Items

Aleksandar Devecerski - Apr 17, 2019 3:33 am (#13 Total: 16)

Photo of Author
Aleksandar Deve…

RelayFax
SecurityPlus
WebAdmin
Hi everyone

Just became aware that this started happening to us as well. As we still
have mixed environment, not all of my users have migrated to Connector
use, I could make some quick tests.

Doubled attachments happen only (according to tests/user reports so far)
with messages from office network scanning devices to users with
connector accounts. It's not a single user and it's not a single device,
this is happening with all of the devices and all of the users. Devices
are Canon copiers/network scanners/printers, but different models/ages/....

Network scanning has been working for years without any issue, nothing
has been changed in configuration/setup. Looking through MD logs I've
found nothing out of the ordinary. Message size is more or less like the
original message generated by the scanning device all the way via log
chain (little larger of course, but definitely not doubled).
Final message in Outlook is, of course, quite larger.

What's more, affected message when viewed in Outlook has two same
attachments, but viewed from WorldClient has only one!?
User profile folder AppData\Roaming\Alt-N\Outlook Connector
2.0\Accounts\Outlook\%connector_account_name%\Attachments contains two
files of the same size/date/type/... as the attachment, but with
slightly different name. Example, two scan jobs, one to PDF (generated
attachment name 190417094054_0001.pdf), the other one to JPG (attachment
name 2078_001.jpg) names are:
3C3XJ0UW_190417094054_0001.pdf/UDPP59SY_190417094054_0001.pdf or
MY48LSG8_2078_001.jpg/FPH117AF_2078_001.jpg

These messages are blank (nothing in message body), with "Attached
image" subject and scanned document/image attached.

It certainly looks like it's a local issue and due to the connector. And
yes, I can reproduce it. Every scan seem to be doing this now.

So, how do we proceed?

Regards

Aleksandar Devecerski - Apr 17, 2019 5:17 am (#14 Total: 16)

Photo of Author
Aleksandar Deve…

RelayFax
SecurityPlus
WebAdmin
Quick update
After upgrade to MD v19/Connector v6 issue seems to be resolved.

Regards

On 17.04.2019 10:33, Aleksandar Devecerski wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> Just became aware that this started happening to us as well. As we still
> have mixed environment, not all of my users have migrated to Connector
> use, I could make some quick tests.
>
> Doubled attachments happen only (according to tests/user reports so far)
> with messages from office network scanning devices to users with
> connector accounts. It's not a single user and it's not a single device,
> this is happening with all of the devices and all of the users. Devices
> are Canon copiers/network scanners/printers, but different models/ages/....
>
> Network scanning has been working for years without any issue, nothing
> has been changed in configuration/setup. Looking through MD logs I've
> found nothing out of the ordinary. Message size is more or less like the
> original message generated by the scanning device all the way via log
> chain (little larger of course, but definitely not doubled).
> Final message in Outlook is, of course, quite larger.
>
> What's more, affected message when viewed in Outlook has two same
> attachments, but viewed from WorldClient has only one!?
> User profile folder AppData\Roaming\Alt-N\Outlook Connector
> 2.0\Accounts\Outlook\%connector_account_name%\Attachments contains two
> files of the same size/date/type/... as the attachment, but with
> slightly different name. Example, two scan jobs, one to PDF (generated
> attachment name 190417094054_0001.pdf), the other one to JPG (attachment
> name 2078_001.jpg) names are:
> 3C3XJ0UW_190417094054_0001.pdf/UDPP59SY_190417094054_0001.pdf or
> MY48LSG8_2078_001.jpg/FPH117AF_2078_001.jpg
>
> These messages are blank (nothing in message body), with "Attached
> image" subject and scanned document/image attached.
>
> It certainly looks like it's a local issue and due to the connector. And
> yes, I can reproduce it. Every scan seem to be doing this now.
>
> So, how do we proceed?
>

> Regards

Tony Burtovoy - Apr 22, 2019 7:07 am (#15 Total: 16)

Photo of Author
Tony Burtovoy
Just upgraded to MD19.0/MC6.0.. so far so good. Will keep you posted.

  • you also nabbed the "missing paperclip" issue. SWEET!

    Thanks!

  • Tony Burtovoy - Jul 19, 2019 11:27 am (#16 Total: 16)

    Photo of Author
    Tony Burtovoy
    MD19.0.2/MC6.0.2 - Saw another instance of this yesterday. In the previous case, webmail saw the message fine with 1 attachment while OC saw double. ...in this latest case, the message is showing in webmail with an attachment for WINMAIL.DAT (11MB) in place of the actual Excel(XLS) 11MB attachment.. and OC sees double (XLS) attachments (2 x 11MB) with the proper name (not winmail.dat)...... so I assume that the message is broken "at the server" and not just in Outlook. so, not Connector but perhaps broken somewhere inside MDaemon while receiving from the Internet perhaps?

    I can provide a sample server MSG(.EML) and corresponding Outlook .MSG if you like.

    -TB