Logout

Alt-N Discussion Groups > MDaemon Discussion Groups > MDaemon Issues > Archive > Frozen account acting as disabled

 [F] Alt-N Discussion Groups  / MDaemon Discussion Groups  / MDaemon Issues  / Archive  /

Frozen account acting as disabled

[Walters, Shay]
Shay Walters
Frequent
Frequent
Shay Walters - 09:23am, Nov 16 2019

I am running MDaemon 16.5.4. I have dynamic screening set up to freeze accounts after 5 failed authentication attempts. This is working, and the account gets flagged as frozen. But in subsequent SMTP sessions, the account is treated as disabled. In the SMTP-IN log file, it reports the account as being disabled, and refuses to accept any incoming mail for the account. In the Account details, it show the account as being frozen, not disabled. This causes the account to reject ALL incoming mail until it is un-frozen. I have looked through the processing options and don't see anything I might have accidentally checked that would cause MDaemon to treat a frozen account as disabled. Anyone have an idea?

  (older msg: 6)All MessagesOldest ItemsOlder ItemsNewer ItemsNewest Items

Shay Walters - Nov 22, 2019 7:57 am (#7 Total: 9)

Photo of Author
Shay Walters
Frequent
Frequent
Thanks for the attention to the problem Arron. I have sent you another set of files, this time I copied the files out prior to re-enabling the account. I included a screenshot of the account manager showing the account flagged as "Frozen". The screenshot is from a configuration session (the GUI on the server) rather than from Remote Admin. Remote Admin shows the same thing.

Thanks again,
-Shay

[Last Editor: Shay Walters, Nov 22, 2019 8:58 am. Total Edits: 2]

Arron.Caruth@mdaemon.com - Nov 22, 2019 8:18 am (#8 Total: 9)

Hi Shay,

After looking through the data you sent I realized that MDaemon is function as it is designed.  When an account is frozen messages addressed to the account are still accepted and delivered to the mailbox, however, messages that are sent from the email address of the account are rejected.  In this case, the inbound SMTP session shows the sending device attempted to authenticate as the account that is frozen and it prevented authentication.

The intent of a frozen account is to prevent a potentially malicious person from authenticating as the account and doing anything that is harmful, so MDaemon doesn’t allow the account to authenticate at all.

When an account is frozen, MDaemon should accept a message that is addressed to the frozen account and delivery it normally as long as the session doesn’t try to authenticate as a frozen account first.

Visit us on
www.mdaemon.com | Facebook | LinkedIn | YouTube
Sent using the
MDaemon Email Server