Logout

Alt-N Discussion Groups > MDaemon Discussion Groups > MDaemon Configuration > Archive > MDaemon 19.5.3 x64: DNS server reports incorrect packet format

 [F] Alt-N Discussion Groups  / MDaemon Discussion Groups  / MDaemon Configuration  / Archive  /

MDaemon 19.5.3 x64: DNS server reports incorrect packet format

[Lynch, Phillip]
Phillip Lynch
Phillip Lynch - 06:06am, Jan 7 2020

We recently upgraded a few MDaemon servers to 19.5.3 (from 19.5) and have experienced a problem with one.

Specifically, it can’t resolve DNS addresses when trying to send, receive or collect multipop messages.  The failure message is always “DNS server reports incorrect packet format”.

This was working prior to the MDaemon upgrade (and through many other upgrades spanning several years) and no other configuration changes were made.

The problem clearly relates to the internal DNS server (a Fritz Box) because we were able to work around the issue by having MDaemon use another external DNS service.

The puzzling thing is that the internal DNS server is working correctly in every other situation (browser, DIG, Dropbox etc) and on the device running MDaemon.

There is no real problem leaving the setup as is.  However, we’d like to understand why MDaemon has started rejecting DNS responses from this one source.

Advice or debugging suggestions would be welcome.

TIA

Phillip.

--MD-Configuration---------------------------------------------------
This list is for questions about the configuration of MDAEMON. To
unsubscribe from this mailing list send an email to
md-configuration-unsubscribe@mdaemon.com .

  (older msg: 2)All MessagesOldest ItemsOlder ItemsNewer ItemsNewest Items

Arron Caruth - Jan 7, 2020 3:43 pm (#3 Total: 3)

Support for EDNS was added in MDaemon 19.5.0 and enabled by default.   Upgrading to 19.5.3 should not have caused DNS lookups to start failing.

Can you send me your logs that show the DNS errors occurring so we can take a closer look?

From: Arron Caruth <Arron.Caruth@mdaemon.com>
To: "md-configuration List Member" <md-configuration@mdaemon.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2020 07:18:00 -0600

If you turn off the option to use EDNS, does it work?

You can find the option by going to Setup / Server Settings / DNS, uncheck the option for “Use EDNS0 (Extension mechanism for DNS).”