Logout

Alt-N Discussion Groups > MDaemon Discussion Groups > MDaemon Issues > Archive > MDaemon 17 IMAP stop working for multiple email account until restart

 [F] Alt-N Discussion Groups  / MDaemon Discussion Groups  / MDaemon Issues  / Archive  /

MDaemon 17 IMAP stop working for multiple email account until restart

[Bregler, Ryan]
Ryan Bregler
Ryan Bregler - 11:45am, Feb 3 2020

I have had this issue with actually 2 other MDaemon servers, but this one is being the most troublesome. The other two i just have a batch file set to restart mdaemon ever day and no issue. This one it could be a few hours before they stop working again. Attached is a zip file of all logs and the message they get (This one using apple mail, but other include outlook, and iPhone). All emails are routing ok. There are no emails showing stuck in any of the queues. Webmail will also not load new messages.

Also there are 1.2 million files in the mdaemon folder. they do a lot of emailing, never delete spam, and they have archive setup for all incoming and outgoing emails so there is a lot of email files. About 400GB worth. Not sure if that is is having an affect at all. Recently moved it to its own server with SSD's and that sped it up A LOT vs the old server with no SSD's and running a SQL server.

Thanks

Ryan

P.S. Attempted to upload logs but saying to large even after Zipping them.

  (older msg: 15)All MessagesOldest ItemsOlder ItemsNewer ItemsNewest Items

Ryan Bregler - Feb 18, 2020 4:13 pm (#16 Total: 18)

Photo of Author
Ryan Bregler
Replying to: Arron Caruth (Feb 13, 2020 6:14 pm)
Yes, it is important to backup the IMAP.MRK files.  These files track the state of each messages in the folder. ...

So the lock files are defiantly the issue. Every time someone has an issue they have a LCK file in there. I delete it and all is good.

I did a procmon on the imap.mrk file and I get either success, end of file, file locked with writers, and invalid device request.

Locked with writers is only when Defender is trying to access it.

When the issues happens though the it always says success by mdaemon in procmon.

since i change the backup to only run once a day and not continuously it hasn't really changed so not really sure if that is an issue.

Arron Caruth - Feb 19, 2020 6:50 pm (#17 Total: 18)

Now we just need to figure out if the LCK files are being abandoned or if there is actually still work being done.

If you allow the LCK files to remain in place, are they eventually removed by MDaemon?  If they are removed then it is most likely the MDaemon is synching the IMAP.MRK file to the contents of the folder.  If the LCK file is never removed by MDaemon, then it must have been abandoned.

You had mentioned that you had removed most of the messages out of the inbox of the account that was having most of the issue, did it improve the situation for that user?

Please run performance monitor and monitor the disk queue lengths of the physical drives where the mailboxes are stored as well as the drive where the LCK files are written.  When the issue occurs, what is the average disk queue length? What is the average disk read queue length? What is the average disk write queue length?  What is the Current disk queue length?

All of these counters are available in performance monitor in the Physcial Disk section.

The next time this happens, please send me your IMAP log that includes the time period when the issue occurred along with the name of the LCK file.  In addition please include a log from process monitor that shows the disk activity for the LockFiles directory

So the lock files are defiantly the issue. Every time someone has an issue they have a LCK file in there. I delete it and all is good.

I did a procmon on the imap.mrk file and I get either success, end of file, file locked with writers, and invalid device request.

Locked with writers is only when Defender is trying to access it.

When the issues happens though the it always says success by mdaemon in procmon.

since i change the backup to only run once a day and not continuously it hasn't really changed so not really sure if that is an issue.

View/reply at MDaemon 17 IMAP stop working for multiple email account until restart

This list is for questions and discussions regarding issues with MDAEMON.
md-issues-unsubscribe@mdaemon.com .