Logout

Alt-N Discussion Groups > MDaemon Discussion Groups > MDaemon Support > Archive > Which log to check

Which log to check

[Stephan, Stephan]
Stephan Stephan
Stephan Stephan - 09:51pm, Feb 13 2020

I am having an issue where an email addressed to multiple recipients within my company are not being received by those recipients.

The first email address in the sequence is a "fake" email, i.e. sales@mdomain.com and is placed in a shared public folder by a rule in the content filter.. so there is no actual recipient for that email address.

The remaining recipients have accounts, but are not receiving the email in question.

I suspect that something is happening as a result of that first email address not being an actual one and being handled by the content filter that the remaining email addresses are not being parsed or are being disregarded somehow.

I have checked my All Log but cannot find how the internal emails (ie the ones within our domain) are being routed and handled. I can see where the rule I mentioned for the fake email is triggered but I cannot see anything to help me understand why the remaining recipients are not getting their email.

Addressing the email to the recipients individually works fine, but not when they are all listed in the TO field and when the first email addressee is the "fake" account.

How do I figure this out ?

Thanks, Stephan

Arron Caruth - Feb 14, 2020 9:07 am (#1 Total: 1)

The first issue I’m concerned about is that it sounds like your server is configured to accept mail for accounts that don’t really exist.  This can cause lots of issues with spam and I’d recommend not doing this.

The second issue is that I would not recommend using a content filter rule to route the message to a public folder.  Public folders have submission addresses that can be configured.  Any message sent to the submission address will be routed to the public folder.

If you’d like assistance configuring these things, just let me know.

If you’d like to use a content filter rule anyway, I’d start by looking at the content filter log and see if the content filter is applying the rule to every copy of the message.  If the content filter is checking the To header for the fake address, this is probably what is happening.  In general, when trying to use the content filter to capture messages addressed to a specific account you should heck the X-MDaemon-Deliver-To header for the email address you are looking for instead of looking at the To header.

If you are unsure and want to continue down this path, you can post the actual content filter rule from the MDaemon\app\cfrules.dat file along with the log snippets from the content filter log that show the messages being processed.

[...]

View/reply at Which log to check