Logout

Alt-N Discussion Groups > MDaemon Discussion Groups > MDaemon Support > Archive > Messages randomly not accessible to random users

Messages randomly not accessible to random users

[Reinoehl, Parrish]
Parrish Reinoeh…
Parrish Reinoehl - 10:29pm, Feb 28 2020

I'm having a very strange problem that we haven't been able to resolve. I have been working with Alt-N support but we can't nail down the cause.
So, hopefully, someone here might have some ideas.
We are running Mdaemon 19.5.4 on a Server 2012 box. It is a 32bit install.
We are having an issue where a random user is unable to access their messages either via IMAP or Webmail. The user that is affected appears to be completely random. The frequency of this happening seems to be a few times per week.
What they will notice is that Outlook will stop receiving new messages. They can send messages without any issue. If they log in via Webmail it will allow them to log in but it will not display any messages (although it does show the total number of messages present in the account). When I look at the Mdaemon sessions I can see they are logged in so this is not an issue with the user or IP being blacklisted (and I have verified their IP address is not showing up in any blacklists).
I have to stop and then restart the Mdaemon service. As soon as I do that, and immediately after Mdaemon starts back up, all of their emails will load in to Outlook (Outlook is configured using IMAP). Webmail will also now display all of their messages.
I have verified that the entire Mdaemon directory and subdirectories are excluded from the antivirus (which is Avast CloudCare). The user folders are in their standard location within the Mdaemon directory and it is located on the C: drive of the server (so not on a NAS or anything like that).
I have sent various log files to Alt-N support but nothing is showing up as being a problem.
My users are growing extremely impatient with this. Does anyone have any ideas of what else I should be looking at?
This customer was previously on an old version, 16.5, and was experiencing this issue maybe once per month or so. I renewed their Mdaemon support contract so we could upgrade them to 19.5.4 in the hopes it would resolve the trouble. But, in actuality, it's made the trouble much more prominent as it now happens a few times (or more) per week.

  (older msg: 23)All MessagesOldest ItemsOlder ItemsNewer ItemsNewest Items

Arron Caruth - May 12, 2020 9:36 am (#24 Total: 24)

Messages randomly accessible to random users

We figured out what the issue is and will fix it for the next build.

The Learn.bat that MD 20 creates deletes the Hiwater.mrk from the folder, which is where permissions are stored.

If a MyLearn.bat exists, MDaemon will run it instead of the Learn.bat that it creates.  So to work around the issue for now,

1) In \MDaemon\App, copy Learn.bat to MyLearn.bat

2) Edit MyLearn.bat and change the lines

if exist "C:\MDaemon\Public Folders\Bayesian Learning.IMAP\Spam.IMAP\*.*" del /F /Q "C:\MDaemon\Public Folders\Bayesian Learning.IMAP\Spam.IMAP\\*.*"
if exist "C:\MDaemon\Public Folders\Bayesian Learning.IMAP\Non-Spam.IMAP\*.*" del /F /Q "C:\MDaemon\Public Folders\Bayesian Learning.IMAP\Non-Spam.IMAP\\*.*"

del /F /Q "C:\MDaemon\Public Folders\Bayesian Learning.IMAP\Spam.IMAP\*.msg"
del /F /Q "C:\MDaemon\Public Folders\Bayesian Learning.IMAP\Non-Spam.IMAP\*.msg"

Change the paths as needed for your installation.

Once we’ve fixed it and you’ve installed the new version you can delete the mylearn.dat file.

From: Arron Caruth <Arron.Caruth@mdaemon.com>
To: md-support@mdaemon.com
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 07:18:00 -0500

Are you saying then when a user receives an invitation it shows up in their calendar?  There is an option to have new meeting requests automatically placed on the calendar marked as tentative.  If you’d like to disable it you can do so by going to Account / Account Manager / Select the account / Edit / Settings, uncheck the box for “Automatically placed new meeting requests on calendar, marked Tentative.”

If this is not the issue, please explain exactly what is occurring.

What do the MDaemon logs show is occurring?

From: "Tomas Francis Ralfs via md-support" <md-support@mdaemon.com>
To: md-support@mdaemon.com
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 21:57:30 +0200

Anwers under.

Regards

Tomas F. Ralfs

From: Arron Caruth <Arron.Caruth@mdaemon.com>
To: md-support@mdaemon.com
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 10:58:00 -0500

OK, This sounds like a different issue than what the thread was originally created for.

Just to make sure I’m understanding correctly, a user is seeing messages that are not in his mailbox, correct?

Yes, I have had 2 users that have reported seing email not ment to them in their inboxes

Is the user seeing the messages via IMAP, webmail, and ActiveSync, or just ActiveSync?

I restarted the server before I could check that, but the common thread here would be activesync in Outlook and AS on Iphone.

What folder is the user seeing the messages in?

In their inbox/root

Can you send me the routing logs that include the time period when the message was originally delivery to the mailbox along with ActiveSync logs for the time period when the message showed up in the wrong mailbox?

 Done

Also, please send me the email address of the user that is seeing the messages that should not be in their mailbox as well as the details for the message, such as subject, from and to?

Info in the Users Affected.txt file in the armand users.rar file I am uploading now

And to confirm, restarted MDaemon fixed the issue?

 Seems to have done it now for the last user. For the first user, they where gone the next morning..

Can you also include ActiveSync logs for the time period when MDameon was restarted?

Done

Also, we will need to try to figure out if the messages are actually stored on disk in the wrong user’s mailbox or if something else is happening.  The next time this occurs, please check to see if the message actually exists in the user’s mailbox.  You can check this by logging into webmail and also looking at the user’s mailbox on disk.

 If it gets reported again, I will look log in and check.

We will also take a look at the dump files that you uploaded to see if there are any clues that might help us.

Thanks,

From: Arron Caruth <Arron.Caruth@mdaemon.com>
To: md-support@mdaemon.com
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 07:54:00 -0500
Subject: [md-support] Messages randomly not accessible to random users

Hello,

I’m not sure I’m following, are you saying that user’s were unable to access messages in their own account or that user’s were able to see messages from other users that they should not have been able to see?

What version of MDaemon are you running?

Did you find .LCK files in the MDaemon\LockFiles directory that were not being removed?  Did removing the LCK files fix the issue?

From: Arron Caruth <Arron.Caruth@mdaemon.com>
To: md-support@mdaemon.com
Date: Fri, 08 May 2020 07:20:00 -0500

The next time this occurs, will you capture a dump of the MDaemon.exe  process before you fix it?

To do this, close the MDaemon configuration session (If you have one open), then open task manager, right click on the mdaemon.exe process and select Create Dump File.  Once the dump file is created, zip it and upload it to our FTP server.

Server: r2d2.altn.com

Username: Uploader

Password: incoming