Logout

Alt-N Discussion Groups > MDaemon Discussion Groups > MDaemon Anti-virus Plug-in > Malware feedback

 [F] Alt-N Discussion Groups  / MDaemon Discussion Groups  / MDaemon Anti-virus Plug-in  /

Malware feedback

[Cramp, Edmund]
Edmund Cramp

Outlook Connector
WebAdmin
Edmund Cramp - 10:29am, Sep 28 2020

I have been watching the daily virus deliveries for years and the daily arrivals go up and down although we see more these days. I wonder if the mail server is inadvertently providing feedback to the malware authors by refusing to accept some viruses - certainly we are providing feedback by not getting infected. What I see is that the deliveries tend to be a couple of specific types (today it's all .xlsm files which I block anyway because the MDAV software rarely stops them) and then, after a few days the deliveries switch to another type, maybe .img files etc.

I'm manually sending the files that MDAV misses to virusfn@mdaemon.com but it would be nice to have the option of forwarding the files automatically and quickly when I open the quarantine queue window.

  (older msg: 2)All MessagesOldest ItemsOlder ItemsNewer ItemsNewest Items

Edmund Cramp - Oct 12, 2020 7:28 am (#3 Total: 4)

Photo of Author
Edmund Cramp

Outlook Connector
WebAdmin
I don't think that automatically sending quarantined messages would be popular because occasionally users get sent microsoft files (.doc, .xls etc) that are real - the option to manually right click on a message after inspecting the .msg file via an ASCII viewer and then send it would be more acceptable.

Perhaps a better option would be to be able to create a content filter rule that would send messages that meet specific criteria, e.g. high spam score, restricted attachment, sent to honeypot address.

It would be a little complex but users might be able to setup a Google account and then create a rule to send quarantined messages to the original local recipient via Google. The message would then be scanned by Google and returned to the server if it passes and a second rule could let it through the filters.

These are just ideas.

Arron Caruth - Oct 12, 2020 7:42 am (#4 Total: 4)

OK, Thanks for your feeback.

I don't think that automatically sending quarantined messages would be popular because occasionally users get sent microsoft files (.doc, .xls etc) that are real - the option to manually right click on a message after inspecting the .msg file via an ASCII viewer and then send it would be more acceptable.

Perhaps a better option would be to be able to create a content filter rule that would send messages that meet specific criteria, e.g. high spam score, restricted attachment, sent to honeypot address.

It would be a little complex but users might be able to setup a Google account and then create a rule to send quarantined messages to the original local recipient via Google. The message would then be scanned by Google and returned to the server if it passes and a second rule could let it through the filters.

These are just ideas.

View/reply at Malware feedback

This list is for questions and discussion about AntiVirus plugins for
MDAEMON. To unsubscribe from this mailing list send an email to
md-av-plugin-unsubscribe@mdaemon.com .