Logout

Alt-N Discussion Groups > MDaemon Discussion Groups > MDaemon AntiSpam > Archive > SA-UPDATE Errors

 [F] Alt-N Discussion Groups  / MDaemon Discussion Groups  / MDaemon AntiSpam  / Archive  /

SA-UPDATE Errors

[Stone, Dennis]
Dennis Stone
Dennis Stone - 10:14am, Dec 1 2020

MDaemon v20.0.3

Every day since November 7th the daily SA-UPDATE process has failed with the following error:

Tue 2020-12-01 08:09:00.272: ----------
Tue 2020-12-01 08:27:49.558: Starting spam filter update...
Tue 2020-12-01 08:27:49.558: * Running SA-UPDATE...
Tue 2020-12-01 08:27:54.246: * Errors occurred while attempting to download and extract updates
Tue 2020-12-01 08:27:54.272: ----------

Not exactly sure when this issue started, but has been occurring since November 7th according to available records. Anyone else noticing the same?

  (older msg: 8)All MessagesOldest ItemsOlder ItemsNewer ItemsNewest Items

Dennis Stone - Dec 7, 2020 4:36 pm (#9 Total: 12)

Photo of Author
Dennis Stone
Both commands produce significantly more, but similar output.

I believe the issue is the MIRRORED.BY file. See screengrab.

Is there a way to recreate this (i.e. delete or rename it)? This goes back to one of my original posts stating that when i click update the server never attempts to contact the outside world.

Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 4

Dennis Stone - Dec 7, 2020 4:39 pm (#10 Total: 12)

Photo of Author
Dennis Stone
OK, scratch that. I simply added .OLD to the file and reran the command. It tried to contact the outside world but got blocked again. This in turn created a new MIRRORED.BY with the same contents as above screengrab. I'll add my exception and try again. I'll report results tomorrow.

Dennis Stone - Dec 10, 2020 10:34 am (#11 Total: 12)

Photo of Author
Dennis Stone
The conclusion:

The DNS lookups were happening correctly. I eventually got success by making an exception for *.spamassassin.org. I tried first to just allow *.updates.spamassassin.org, but that still produced failures. Assuming the TXT lookups are the only thing that utilize updates.spamassassin.com.

Wanted to share just in case anybody else runs into this issue in a fairly locked down environment.

Arron Caruth - Dec 10, 2020 10:46 am (#12 Total: 12)

Thank you for following up, I’m glad you were able to get the updates working!

The DNS lookups were happening correctly. I eventually got success by making an exception for *.spamassassin.org. I tried first to just allow *.updates.spamassassin.org, but that still produced failures. Assuming the TXT lookups are the only thing that utilize updates.spamassassin.com.

Wanted to share just in case anybody else runs into this issue in a fairly locked down environment.

View/reply at SA-UPDATE Errors

This list is for questions and discussions about preventing SPAM
using MDAEMON. To unsubscribe from this mailing list send an email to
md-anti-spam-unsubscribe@mdaemon.com .