Logout

Alt-N Discussion Groups > Outlook Connector Discussion Groups > Outlook Connector Support > Outlook with MDaemon Connector hanging, crashing, freezing

 [F] Alt-N Discussion Groups  / Outlook Connector Discussion Groups  / Outlook Connector Support  /

Outlook with MDaemon Connector hanging, crashing, freezing

[Wyatt, Martin]
Martin Wyatt
Martin Wyatt - 11:23am, Jun 14 2019

My users are ready to revolt and I'm dumbfounded, so I'm seeking suggestions or experiences you've had.

I have 400 users. Of those, 100 use Outlook 2013 with MDaemon Connector. A few months ago we migrated from Office 365 to MDaemon. Of course, Outlook worked flawlessly with Office 365, but even with new Outlook profiles and MD Connector we have problems with most of those users experiencing hanging/freezing of Outlook. Often during email creation, especially when an attachment has already been added, but other times when Outlook is sitting idle. The app just goes gray saying "Outlook not responding" and after several minutes it may recover, other times hangs indefinitely requiring us to End Task, and other times Outlook crashes and states it has crashed and will restart.

Occurs on Outlook 2013, 2016 and 2019.

It's odd because it's intermittent and inconsistent for each user. Sometimes one will experience it 10-12 times hanging/freezing/crashing during a single day and then smooth sailing for days. Others get the hanging/freezing/crashing once a day, but that's about it.

I've blocked realtime antivirus access to the Alt-N folder
I've uninstalled antivirus, only using Windows 10's Windows Defender
I've done Office repair
I've completely uninstalled, including cleansing to remove Office remnants, and reinstalled
I've tried different versions of Connector, including beta
I've changed MDC folders settings to Load PIM and IMAP synchronously
I've set Send/Receive to only check Inbox
I've set compact database on Outlook shutdown
I've removed all add-ins except Connector

None of this has helped.

Here are some stats about two Outlook clients that frequently freeze:
- His Local cache is 404,416 KB and Attachments folder = 10,415 items and 2.75GB in size
- My own Local Cache is 417,812 KB and Attachments folder = 466 items and 46 MB in size

The first one experiences hanging/freezing/crashing constantly, whereas I only get it once a day or overy other day.

Is the Attachments Folder item quantity and/or size a culprit?

I know you may be thinking "Wow you have too much email, that's why it's freezing!" I accept that for some of our users with 24,000 emails in their inbox. That's definitely too much email. But this is also happening to users with only a few hundred emails sprinkled throughout various Outlook folders. So the "too much email" excuse is anecdotal and not applicable in our situation. Consider this - one user that successfully housed 45GB of email in their Outlook OST file with Office 365 with no hanging/freezing/crashing is currently experiencing hanging/freezing/crashing with only 12GB of email.

In our case the Outlook OST database file appears a superior solution compared with MDaemon Connector. But OST is obviously not a solution for us, we're committed to MDaemon. And I love the product. But I also have many impatient Outlook users who need calendar integration. So I really do welcome other suggestions.

Jared Charles (apparently) - Jun 17, 2019 5:40 pm (#1 Total: 28)

Jared Charles

Hello Martin,

Has this always been an issue since you first started using MDaemon Connector, or did it ever work well when your users first started using it?

Are there any MDaemon Connector clients that do not experience this particular hanging issue?

Are your users connecting to the MDaemon server from the same local network, or are they connecting from outside the network?

If they are connecting from the local network, are there any network devices located between the clients and the server, such as a switch?

If they connect from inside and outside the network, is there any difference in performance between the two?

Is the hanging more frequent at certain times of the day?

Is there any time during the day where there are a lot less users connected to their MDaemon Connector accounts?
If so, is the performance any better when there are less MDaemon Connector clients connected to the server?

Do all of the affected users have their ďlocalcache.dbĒ file stored in the default location on their client machines?

Martin Wyatt - Jun 24, 2019 5:10 pm (#2 Total: 28)

Photo of Author
Martin Wyatt
Thanks for the pointers.

It has been an issue since the first day live. I didn't notice it during testing (pre-deployment) but I wasn't using it for extended periods at that point. Plus I used on a clean installation with no migration. I also never expected such a widespread problem so I wasn't looking for it.

It's a mixed bag on who experiences the problem and who doesn't. On the local LAN we have 14 users and half experience some sort of hanging/freezing/crashing daily. Other remote sites with more users the experience is somewhat higher. Also, remote users are non-VPN...strictly internet.

I cannot identify easily if there are users who never experience the issue. When Outlook crashes it simply restarts and if the user wasn't looking or was at lunch they never even knew it occurred. However, there are two users on my local LAN one using Outlook 2010 the other 2013 who never experience this. I even checked their Event logs for appcrash details.

Several of the Outlook clients are on VMs on the same ESXi host as the MDaemon server. The only device between them is the Cisco Meraki switch. I can't imagine any settings on a managed switch that would only affect MDaemon Connector but all IMAP and/or Office 365 traffic is perfect. Just the Connector causing the issue.

Time of day doesn't seem to affect. Happens at 5:00AM and any other time throughout the day into the night. Performance is always stellar on my SSD RAID5 array.

FYI, I just upgraded MD server to 19.0.2 last week, which pushed out the latest Connector to users. There was no change in the problem. At this point virtually all connector users are upgraded to the 6.0.2 version but the problem still exists the same way on the same Outlook clients. Something in the Outlook internals (registry or appdata folders) that interacts badly with MDaemon Connector, even when I create a brand new Outlook profile. As I mentioned, doing a complete cleansing uninstall of Office and reinstall helps, but doesn't solve - it just reduces the hanging/freezing/crashing.

Indications are that an Outlook client previously connected to Office 365 has some remnants that cause this anomaly. But it doesn't affect everyone.

Yes, localcache.db is default location for everyone.

Jared Charles (apparently) - Jul 2, 2019 5:20 pm (#3 Total: 28)

Jared Charles

Hello Martin,

Thanks for the update!

Please try these suggestions to see if they make any difference:

Suggestion 1:
If they are not already enabled on the affected clients, then try enabling these two features:

1. In Outlook, on the MD Connector menu bar, click "Account".

2. Select "Folders".

3. Enable the "Load PIM Folders Synchronously" option.

4. Enable the "Load IMAP Folders Synchronously" option.

5. Click "OK".

Afterward, restart Outlook and then test to see if Outlookís performance is the same.

Jason Wittler - Sep 12, 2019 7:40 am (#4 Total: 28)

Photo of Author
Jason Wittler
Have you had any luck with this?

Replies to this message
  • Jason Wittler (Sep 26, 2019 6:52 am)

  • Jason Wittler - Sep 26, 2019 6:52 am (#5 Total: 28)

    Photo of Author
    Jason Wittler
    Replying to: Jason Wittler (Sep 12, 2019 7:40 am)
    Have you had any luck with this?

    Any luck on this?

    Jared Charles (apparently) - Sep 27, 2019 6:12 pm (#6 Total: 28)

    Jared Charles

    Hello Jason,

    If you are experiencing MDaemon Connector hanging or crashing issues like the ones reported by Martin, we can assist you with addressing those problems.

    If you would like assistance with troubleshooting those issues, please submit an e-mail support request here:
    https://www.altn.com/Support/RequestSupport/

    Please be sure to provide as much information as possible whenever you submit your request.

    hugo.cortes@chisuecos.se - Sep 30, 2019 4:18 am (#7 Total: 28)

    Photo of Author
    hugo.cortes@chi…
    Hello Martin!
    Have you tested configuring the problems account with ActiveSync instead of Outlook Connector. It is enough that you create a new Outlook profile only.
    Good luck!

    Best regards,
    //Hugo
    "Martin Wyatt" skrev i meddelandet news:59862fcb.-1@webcrossing.YajCaaooa8G...
[...]

    Jacques van der Zwaan - Oct 2, 2019 9:04 am (#8 Total: 28)

    Photo of Author
    Jacques van der…
    One of our customers reported the same issue(s) yesterday. Today I went to the specific customer to do some testing. The most problems occurred when an e-mail was being created with an attachment. I checked for Windows updates, installed the latest BETA but nothing helped. Then I opened Outlook, went to File -> Office Account -> Check for updates.

    Even though Microsoft Office showed that updates are automatically installed, I received several updates. After installing these, the problems went away. I did this trick on all the affected computers and nobody reported problems anymore.

    Maybe this can help someone.

    Martin Wyatt - Jan 16, 2020 11:38 am (#9 Total: 28)

    Photo of Author
    Martin Wyatt
    I'm revisiting this issue.

    My users went from revolt to accepting the new normal of daily crashing/freezing, although they are still unhappy. They still hate me and the email system. But I'm determined to fix it. I feel like I've narrowed it down to three culprits: attachment size, attachment quantity, and folder count.

    Attachment Size:

    First, a dozen or more users send and receive lots of large attachments, sometimes 15MB up to 40MB. Of course this was never a problem with Outlook OST/PST. When I sorted a user's Outlook sent items folder I noticed hundreds of emails with large attachments. Just the act of selecting 5 or 10 of these emails would cause Outlook to freeze, or if I got to where I could manually move a few of these to a PST archive Outlook would often freeze until it crashed and restarted. Still I trudged on manually moving emails containing large attachments from Sent, Deleted, Inbox, and elsewhere to an external PST archive. IMAP doesn't seem to gracefully handle lots of large attachments.

    Moving emails with large attachments out of seemed to cure the freezing/hanging in every case except five users.

    Attachment Quantity:

    Most of my 100 MD Connector users have thousands of attachments, which means the MD Connector folder C:/Users/%USERNAME%/AppData/Roaming/Alt-N/Outlook Connector 2.0/Accounts/MDaemonProfile/user@domain.com/Attachments contains the aggregate of all those email attachments. All the PDFs, JPGs, etc all reside here.

    By virtue of moving emails with large attachments to a PST file, many of these attachments moved with their associated email. But I still had to resort to archiving everything over 3 months old to really reduce this quantity down to less than a few hundred.

    Folder Count:

    Then I have several users with more than 1,000 folders in Outlook. This absolutely bogs down IMAP. As I've witnessed this I can't blame MD Connector since it's an Outlook IMAP limitation. Microsoft states that Outlook's limit is 500 folders. With Exchange/Office365 this limit didn't really apply since there must be some magical interaction between Outlook and Exchange. But Outlook with a regular IMAP server like MDaemon I believe that limit is real.

    For users with hundreds or thousands of Outlook folders, reducing their folder count down to a few dozen was the solution to Outlook hanging/freezing.

    ---

    One or any combination of these three things has helped restore sanity to several users. I'm working with each individually to verify these truly help, but so far it has worked.

    Jared Charles (apparently) - Jan 24, 2020 6:11 pm (#10 Total: 28)

    Jared Charles

    Hello Martin,

    Thanks for the detailed update.

    Since archiving those messages containing the large attachments, has that addressed the hanging/freezing issue for those affected users (except the five you mentioned), or have they started experiencing the problem again?

    Were you able to figure out what was causing the hanging/freezing issue for those remaining five users?
    Were those five users the ones you mentioned having thousands of IMAP folders/subfolders?

    Replies to this message
  • Martin Wyatt (Feb 15, 2021 11:07 am)

  • Luca Rasca - Feb 12, 2020 4:05 am (#11 Total: 28)

    Photo of Author
    Luca Rasca
    Hi, doesn't OC use MAPI protocol instead of IMAP?

    Jared Charles (apparently) - Feb 13, 2020 7:04 pm (#12 Total: 28)

    Jared Charles

    Thatís correct.MDaemon Connector is a MAPI client, but it uses an IMAP to transmit data between Outlook and the MDaemon server.

    Regards,

    --
    Jared Charles
    Technical Application Support