Logout

Alt-N Discussion Groups > MDaemon Discussion Groups > MDaemon Support > Archive > Duplicate incoming emails

Duplicate incoming emails

[Stephan, Stephan]
Stephan Stephan
Stephan Stephan - 11:59pm, Aug 16 2020

I use a smarthost to receive my emails and retrieve them using Mdaemon through domainpop. I have been doing this in this way for years with no issues.

Recently, I would say in the last month, although I have made NO changes to anything anywhere, emails are coming in in duplicate. Every incoming email is delivered to recipients twice.

What could be causing this, given that nothing in my configuration has changed ?

Mdaemon 19.5.3 running on a windows 10 machine (same machine it has always run on)

Arron Caruth - Aug 18, 2020 11:57 am (#1 Total: 8)

My first suggestion would be to change to receiving messages via SMTP.  I’m guessing you have your reasons for not doing it that way, so I won’t dwell on it.

What does the domainPOP log show is happening?  Can you include a snippet from the domainPOP log that shows a message being downloaded and delivered twice?

Are two messages being downloaded and parsed from the POP3 mailbox or is a single message being downloaded and multiple addresses are parsed out of that single message?

How do you have domainPOP configured to parse messages?  You can find all the settings at Setup / Server Settings / DomainPOP / Parsing

What options are selected on the Processing dialog?

Visit us on
www.mdaemon.com | Facebook | LinkedIn | YouTube
Sent using the
MDaemon Email Server

I use a smarthost to receive my emails and retrieve them using Mdaemon through domainpop. I have been doing this in this way for years with no issues.

Recently, I would say in the last month, although I have made NO changes to anything anywhere, emails are coming in in duplicate. Every incoming email is delivered to recipients twice.

What could be causing this, given that nothing in my configuration has changed ?

Mdaemon 19.5.3 running on a windows 10 machine (same machine it has always run on)

View/reply at Duplicate incoming emails

Stephan Stephan - Aug 22, 2020 9:39 pm (#2 Total: 8)

Photo of Author
Stephan Stephan
I am attaching a log snippet showing one message that is being duplicated.. it seems as if domainpop is logging into the smarthost twice, milliseconds apart, possibly before the delete command can exexute on the smarthost.

You'll see that the one log in occurs at 15:12:55.341, and another at 15:12:55.339, at least thats what I think the log is showing.

Attachments:

MDaemon-2020-08-21-all DUPLICATES SECTION.log (13 KB) (152 Downloads)

Arron Caruth - Aug 24, 2020 8:44 am (#3 Total: 8)

It looks to me like the mailbox you are receiving the message from is receiving two copies of the message with the same message ID.

Do you have the option selected for Detect duplicate message using this header?

And do you have the Message-ID header selected from the drop down?

These options can be found by going to Setup / Server Settings / DomainPOP / Parsing.

Visit us on
www.mdaemon.com | Facebook | LinkedIn | YouTube
Sent using the
MDaemon Email Server

I am attaching a log snippet showing one message that is being duplicated.. it seems as if domainpop is logging into the smarthost twice, milliseconds apart, possibly before the delete command can exexute on the smarthost.

You'll see that the one log in occurs at 15:12:55.341, and another at 15:12:55.339, at least thats what I think the log is showing.

View/reply at Duplicate incoming emails

Replies to this message
  • Stephan Stephan (Aug 30, 2020 10:32 pm)

  • Stephan Stephan - Aug 30, 2020 10:32 pm (#4 Total: 8)

    Photo of Author
    Stephan Stephan
    Replying to: Arron Caruth (Aug 24, 2020 8:44 am)
    It looks to me like the mailbox you are receiving the message from is receiving two copies of the message...

    Yes, those options are selected as you described. Bear in mind that this is a new issue, I have not changed a thing in my settings, I just started getting duplicate emails one day.

    My emails are scanned by an external spam filtering system(spamhero.com) so I can actually see on that server whether duplicate messages being sent to me from the senders and that is not the case.

    Its quite annoying to wake up one day and find that without changing a thing anywhere, the mail system is doing something different. This didnt even coincide with an upgrade of mdaemon from one version to the next.

    Arron Caruth - Aug 31, 2020 8:11 am (#5 Total: 8)

    Yes, I can imagine it is annoying getting duplicate messages.

    I just realized these two DomainPOP sessions are logging into two different accounts on your providers mail server.  Each of the accounts being checked by domainPOP received a copy of the message.

    Fri 2020-08-21 15:12:55.590: <-- +OK Dovecot ready.

    Fri 2020-08-21 15:12:55.590: --> USER stephand@*****ours.com

    Fri 2020-08-21 15:12:55.662: <-- +OK

    Fri 2020-08-21 15:12:55.662: --> PASS ******

    Fri 2020-08-21 15:12:55.591: <-- +OK Dovecot ready.

    Fri 2020-08-21 15:12:55.591: --> USER stephansf

    Fri 2020-08-21 15:12:55.668: <-- +OK

    Fri 2020-08-21 15:12:55.668: --> PASS ******

    Two copies of the message were delivered to the same MDaemon account because the same address was parsed out of both messages.

    My question now is why are you checking both accounts?  Are these both catch all accounts that receive messages addressed to multiple different people?  Or are they accounts for a single user? Typically you only want to use DomainPOP to retrieve email from “catch all” mailboxes, for example, a mailbox that received all mail for a specfiic domain.   If they are accounts for a single user then in most cases you won’t want to use DomainPOP to collect the messages, you will want to use MultiPOP.

    Visit us on
    www.mdaemon.com | Facebook | LinkedIn | YouTube
    Sent using the
    MDaemon Email Server

    Yes, those options are selected as you described. Bear in mind that this is a new issue, I have not changed a thing in my settings, I just started getting duplicate emails one day.

    My emails are scanned by an external spam filtering system(spamhero.com) so I can actually see on that server whether duplicate messages being sent to me from the senders and that is not the case.

    Its quite annoying to wake up one day and find that without changing a thing anywhere, the mail system is doing something different. This didnt even coincide with an upgrade of mdaemon from one version to the next.

    View/reply at Duplicate incoming emails

    Stephan Stephan - Sep 16, 2020 3:14 am (#6 Total: 8)

    Photo of Author
    Stephan Stephan
    I dont really understand.. I only have one account, Ive only ever had one account, and I dont have domainpop set up to check any other account (which I dont have).

    Moreover I didnt change anything in the domainpop setup, I havent touched those settings in years, so why would it start checking two accounts and how do I fix that ?

    Stephan Stephan - Sep 16, 2020 4:08 am (#7 Total: 8)

    Photo of Author
    Stephan Stephan
    Further to my prior message, I found the setting under EXTRA HOSTS and indeed for many years I was checking 2 accounts (actually aliases).

    The secondary one had never ever received any emails in it, I think I had it set up to be checked only in the unlikely event that something did come in there. So it seems that GoDaddy made a change and has now been forwarding mails to that supposedly dormant alias and that is what caused the duplication.

    Thank you so much for catching that, I probably would not have thought to look at the Extra Hosts setting since I had completely forgotten that that secondary alias existed.

    Arron Caruth - Sep 16, 2020 7:22 am (#8 Total: 8)

    Great, I’m glad you were able to figure out what was going!