Logout

Alt-N Discussion Groups > MDaemon Discussion Groups > MDaemon Issues > Archive > Mdaemon performance

 [F] Alt-N Discussion Groups  / MDaemon Discussion Groups  / MDaemon Issues  / Archive  /

Mdaemon performance

[Palmer, Clive]
Clive Palmer

Outlook Connector
SecurityPlus
WebAdmin
Clive Palmer - 08:48am, Oct 2 2020

We do a weekly mailing through Constant Contact and will get approximately 800 to 900 Auto Response emails coming to us after this mailing.
When this happens our Inbound queue will have all these emails which will cause our users outgoing emails, including mail sent to local users to be delayed for up to 2 hrs.
I tried looking at various filtering options including custom queues as well mail priority but nothing in Mdaemon will allow the Inbound queue to process mail more quickly.

Are there other settings or options that I should be considering in order to process new incoming or outgoing mail faster?

Arron Caruth - Oct 2, 2020 9:15 am (#1 Total: 8)

On the proper hardware, MDaemon should be processing 800-900 messages out of the inbound queue in minutes, not hours.

What version of MDaemon are you running?

What OS is MDaemon running on?

What are the hardware specs for the machine?

What type of drives is MDaemon storing the data on?

Is everything on the machine running off of a single drive?

Are you using RAID, if so which one?

Can you post a snippet of the routing log so we can get an idea of what

the processing looks like?

Run performance monitor and track the disk queue read, write, and

average lengths for the drive the inbound queue is stored on, what is

the average disk queue length for each?

We do a weekly mailing through Constant Contact and will get approximately 800 to 900 Auto Response emails coming to us after this mailing.
When this happens our Inbound queue will have all these emails which will cause our users outgoing emails, including mail sent to local users to be delayed for up to 2 hrs.
I tried looking at various filtering options including custom queues as well mail priority but nothing in Mdaemon will allow the Inbound queue to process mail more quickly.

Are there other settings or options that I should be considering in order to process new incoming or outgoing mail faster?

View/reply at Mdaemon performance

--MD-ISSUES---------------------------------------------------------------
This list is for questions and discussions regarding issues with MDAEMON.
md-issues-unsubscribe@mdaemon.com .

Replies to this message
  • Clive Palmer (Oct 2, 2020 10:31 am)

  • Clive Palmer - Oct 2, 2020 10:31 am (#2 Total: 8)

    Photo of Author
    Clive Palmer

    Outlook Connector
    SecurityPlus
    WebAdmin
    Replying to: Arron Caruth (Oct 2, 2020 9:15 am)
    On the proper hardware, MDaemon should be processing 800-900 messages out of the inbound queue in minutes, not hours.&nbsp;What version...

    We are running Mdaemon 20.0.0

    OS = Windows 7 64bit

    Hardware = Dell T320 Intel Xeon Processor E5-2407 2.2 Ghz 16GB RAM

    Internal SAS HD (Raid 1)

    Currently the Disk Queue length is .05 It doesnt display individual readings for Read, Write

    Routing log

    Arron Caruth - Oct 2, 2020 11:29 am (#3 Total: 8)

    While it is entirely possible to run MDaemon on a Workstation OS, it is not recommended.  With that being said, it should still be possible to achieve acceptable performance on a workstation OS as long as the hardware can keep up.

    Are you looking at logical disks or physical disks?  I’d suggest checking both.

    Performance monitor should be able to show you Average Disk Queue Length, Average Disk Read Queue Length, Average Disk Write Queue Length, and Current Disk Queue Length for the logical and physical disks.

    Was the issue occurring when the disk queue length was .05? What are the queue lengths when the issue is occurring?

    How many users are setup in MDaemon?

    Do you have more specific details on the specifications for the hard drives?  How many RPM are they?  What is the Data Transfer Rate?

    Is everything on the machine using a single RAID 1 array?

    Ultimately, since I know the software is capable of performing at a higher level, we are simply trying to find the bottleneck.  In my experience, it is most often the hard drives.  MDaemon is very I/O intensive and often time disks on machines, especially workstations, cannot keep up with the demands when MDaemon is under a load.  When the disks can’t keep up it results in slow processing of mail.

    Hardware = Dell T320 Intel Xeon Processor E5-2407 2.2 Ghz 16GB RAM

    Internal SAS HD (Raid 1)

    Currently the Disk Queue length is .05 It doesnt display individual readings for Read, Write

    View/reply at Mdaemon performance

    --MD-ISSUES---------------------------------------------------------------
    This list is for questions and discussions regarding issues with MDAEMON.
    md-issues-unsubscribe@mdaemon.com .

    Clive Palmer - Oct 2, 2020 4:59 pm (#4 Total: 8)

    Photo of Author
    Clive Palmer

    Outlook Connector
    SecurityPlus
    WebAdmin
    I dont know what the Queue lengths were when this issue was occurring because we didnt run any performance metrics then.
    We have about 25 active users setup.
    The 1TB SAS HDs have a data transfer rate of 3Gbs at 7200 RPM.
    Its configured in a single Raid 1.

    Current Performance Monitor

    Arron Caruth - Oct 5, 2020 7:27 am (#5 Total: 8)

    In order to know if the disk is the bottleneck we to be able to gather data while the issue is occurring.

    Can you set up the system to gather data when the weekly mailing is sent?

    Or if you prefer you may be able to replicate the behavior by sending thousands of messages to a test account in MDaemon?  Or perhaps you can freeze the inbound queue, send a single message and then use MDSTATs to duplicate the message until you have  a couple thousands messages and then unfreeze the queue.

    I dont know what the Queue lengths were when this issue was occurring because we didnt run any performance metrics then.
    We have about 25 active users setup.
    The 1TB SAS HDs have a data transfer rate of 3Gbs at 7200 RPM.
    Its configured in a single Raid 1.

    View/reply at Mdaemon performance

    --MD-ISSUES---------------------------------------------------------------
    This list is for questions and discussions regarding issues with MDAEMON.
    md-issues-unsubscribe@mdaemon.com .

    Clive Palmer - Oct 5, 2020 1:45 pm (#6 Total: 8)

    Photo of Author
    Clive Palmer

    Outlook Connector
    SecurityPlus
    WebAdmin
    Our next weekly mailing should be scheduled for this Thursday, Nov 8th after 2PM.
    I will gather some data at time and report back.

    Clive Palmer - Oct 14, 2020 8:43 am (#7 Total: 8)

    Photo of Author
    Clive Palmer

    Outlook Connector
    SecurityPlus
    WebAdmin
    We did our mail blast through Constant Contact on Thursday, Nov. 8th and received approximately 600+ Auto response/Out of office emails that day without any performance issues.
    The Incoming Queue contained no more than 125 emails at any time and they were processed in less than 5 minutes.
    I did make some changes increasing the Maximum concurrent SMTP inbound sessions(500-->1000) and the Maximum current MSA (50-->150) sessions but i dont think that had any impact because we never reached those numbers in the amount of emails that we were receiving.

    Arron Caruth - Oct 14, 2020 9:16 am (#8 Total: 8)

    I’m glad to hear that MDaemon worked well for you with the last email blast. Please let us know if you start having issues again.