Logout

Alt-N Discussion Groups > Outlook Connector Discussion Groups > Outlook Connector Support > Outlook with MDaemon Connector hanging, crashing, freezing

 [F] Alt-N Discussion Groups  / Outlook Connector Discussion Groups  / Outlook Connector Support  /

Outlook with MDaemon Connector hanging, crashing, freezing

[Wyatt, Martin]
Martin Wyatt
Martin Wyatt - 11:23am, Jun 14 2019

My users are ready to revolt and I'm dumbfounded, so I'm seeking suggestions or experiences you've had.

I have 400 users. Of those, 100 use Outlook 2013 with MDaemon Connector. A few months ago we migrated from Office 365 to MDaemon. Of course, Outlook worked flawlessly with Office 365, but even with new Outlook profiles and MD Connector we have problems with most of those users experiencing hanging/freezing of Outlook. Often during email creation, especially when an attachment has already been added, but other times when Outlook is sitting idle. The app just goes gray saying "Outlook not responding" and after several minutes it may recover, other times hangs indefinitely requiring us to End Task, and other times Outlook crashes and states it has crashed and will restart.

Occurs on Outlook 2013, 2016 and 2019.

It's odd because it's intermittent and inconsistent for each user. Sometimes one will experience it 10-12 times hanging/freezing/crashing during a single day and then smooth sailing for days. Others get the hanging/freezing/crashing once a day, but that's about it.

I've blocked realtime antivirus access to the Alt-N folder
I've uninstalled antivirus, only using Windows 10's Windows Defender
I've done Office repair
I've completely uninstalled, including cleansing to remove Office remnants, and reinstalled
I've tried different versions of Connector, including beta
I've changed MDC folders settings to Load PIM and IMAP synchronously
I've set Send/Receive to only check Inbox
I've set compact database on Outlook shutdown
I've removed all add-ins except Connector

None of this has helped.

Here are some stats about two Outlook clients that frequently freeze:
- His Local cache is 404,416 KB and Attachments folder = 10,415 items and 2.75GB in size
- My own Local Cache is 417,812 KB and Attachments folder = 466 items and 46 MB in size

The first one experiences hanging/freezing/crashing constantly, whereas I only get it once a day or overy other day.

Is the Attachments Folder item quantity and/or size a culprit?

I know you may be thinking "Wow you have too much email, that's why it's freezing!" I accept that for some of our users with 24,000 emails in their inbox. That's definitely too much email. But this is also happening to users with only a few hundred emails sprinkled throughout various Outlook folders. So the "too much email" excuse is anecdotal and not applicable in our situation. Consider this - one user that successfully housed 45GB of email in their Outlook OST file with Office 365 with no hanging/freezing/crashing is currently experiencing hanging/freezing/crashing with only 12GB of email.

In our case the Outlook OST database file appears a superior solution compared with MDaemon Connector. But OST is obviously not a solution for us, we're committed to MDaemon. And I love the product. But I also have many impatient Outlook users who need calendar integration. So I really do welcome other suggestions.

  (older msg: 21)All MessagesOldest ItemsOlder ItemsNewer ItemsNewest Items

Tony Burtovoy - Apr 22, 2021 6:50 am (#22 Total: 28)

Photo of Author
Tony Burtovoy
In working with another user just moments ago, he (like most others) had a signature with complex formatting, including an inline image.

I deleted the inline image and re-saved the signature.. then the issue which was easily reproducible did not re-occur. When I put the inline image back into the signature, the issue also did not re-occur (at least not yet).

It's almost as if the signature (in %appdata%\Roaming\Microsoft\Signatures) had somehow become slightly corrupt and the act of removing the inline image, saving, then re-adding it, somehow overwrote whatever was corrupted. ??????????

I suppose that if signatures.. or sigs with inline-images are part of the problem here, then ANY of the following would prove helpful in different scenarios:

1. Turn off autosave, which likely adds a signature to a draft during a "save"

2. Turn off signatures
3. Remove inline-images from signatures
4. Remove inline-images, save, the re-add inline images
5. Reduce complex formatting in signatures

For the time being, I'm ensuring that all Windows updates and Office updates are in place.. and asking my users to do different things with turning off Autosave, or signatures, or signatures with images....... to see which is most applicable.

-tb

Jared Charles (apparently) - Apr 27, 2021 4:07 pm (#23 Total: 28)

Jared Charles

There are two hanging issues that our developer will address in the next MDaemon Connector beta release:  One of them is related to the problem where Outlook hangs whenever you copy or move messages while new messages are being downloaded, and the other problem is where Outlook hangs whenever you save a message as a draft.  So, perhaps the next version will fix both of these issues.

Regards,

--
Jared Charles
Technical Application Support

[...]

View/reply at Outlook with MDaemon Connector hanging, crashing, freezing

--OC-SUPPORT--------------------------------------------------------------
This mailing list is for questions and discussion of problems encountered
by MDAEMON OC customers.  To unsubscribe from this mailing list send an
email to oc-support-unsubscribe@mdaemon.com .

Tony Burtovoy - May 10, 2021 8:49 am (#24 Total: 28)

Photo of Author
Tony Burtovoy
Oh sure... throw out that teaser ("hanging issues possibly addressed in next beta version"), but you don't tickle our curiosity with a date?

..in all seriousness though. How about a timeframe? Your biggest defenders are out here on the front lines taking heat from our users and we're totally at your mercy. As IT admins, there's nothing we can do except pray that Alt-N can deliver a hail mary as we suffer through Outlook's chronic unstable behavior.

Date please?

[Last Editor: Tony Burtovoy, May 10, 2021 1:45 pm. Total Edits: 2]

  (newer msg:4)All MessagesOldest ItemsOlder ItemsNewer ItemsNewest Items