Logout

Alt-N Discussion Groups > Outlook Connector Discussion Groups > Outlook Connector Support > Outlook with MDaemon Connector hanging, crashing, freezing

 [F] Alt-N Discussion Groups  / Outlook Connector Discussion Groups  / Outlook Connector Support  /

Outlook with MDaemon Connector hanging, crashing, freezing

[Wyatt, Martin]
Martin Wyatt
Martin Wyatt - 11:23am, Jun 14 2019

My users are ready to revolt and I'm dumbfounded, so I'm seeking suggestions or experiences you've had.

I have 400 users. Of those, 100 use Outlook 2013 with MDaemon Connector. A few months ago we migrated from Office 365 to MDaemon. Of course, Outlook worked flawlessly with Office 365, but even with new Outlook profiles and MD Connector we have problems with most of those users experiencing hanging/freezing of Outlook. Often during email creation, especially when an attachment has already been added, but other times when Outlook is sitting idle. The app just goes gray saying "Outlook not responding" and after several minutes it may recover, other times hangs indefinitely requiring us to End Task, and other times Outlook crashes and states it has crashed and will restart.

Occurs on Outlook 2013, 2016 and 2019.

It's odd because it's intermittent and inconsistent for each user. Sometimes one will experience it 10-12 times hanging/freezing/crashing during a single day and then smooth sailing for days. Others get the hanging/freezing/crashing once a day, but that's about it.

I've blocked realtime antivirus access to the Alt-N folder
I've uninstalled antivirus, only using Windows 10's Windows Defender
I've done Office repair
I've completely uninstalled, including cleansing to remove Office remnants, and reinstalled
I've tried different versions of Connector, including beta
I've changed MDC folders settings to Load PIM and IMAP synchronously
I've set Send/Receive to only check Inbox
I've set compact database on Outlook shutdown
I've removed all add-ins except Connector

None of this has helped.

Here are some stats about two Outlook clients that frequently freeze:
- His Local cache is 404,416 KB and Attachments folder = 10,415 items and 2.75GB in size
- My own Local Cache is 417,812 KB and Attachments folder = 466 items and 46 MB in size

The first one experiences hanging/freezing/crashing constantly, whereas I only get it once a day or overy other day.

Is the Attachments Folder item quantity and/or size a culprit?

I know you may be thinking "Wow you have too much email, that's why it's freezing!" I accept that for some of our users with 24,000 emails in their inbox. That's definitely too much email. But this is also happening to users with only a few hundred emails sprinkled throughout various Outlook folders. So the "too much email" excuse is anecdotal and not applicable in our situation. Consider this - one user that successfully housed 45GB of email in their Outlook OST file with Office 365 with no hanging/freezing/crashing is currently experiencing hanging/freezing/crashing with only 12GB of email.

In our case the Outlook OST database file appears a superior solution compared with MDaemon Connector. But OST is obviously not a solution for us, we're committed to MDaemon. And I love the product. But I also have many impatient Outlook users who need calendar integration. So I really do welcome other suggestions.

  (older msg: 6)All MessagesOldest ItemsOlder ItemsNewer ItemsNewest Items

hugo.cortes@chisuecos.se - Sep 30, 2019 4:18 am (#7 Total: 28)

Photo of Author
hugo.cortes@chi…
Hello Martin!
Have you tested configuring the problems account with ActiveSync instead of Outlook Connector. It is enough that you create a new Outlook profile only.
Good luck!

Best regards,
//Hugo
"Martin Wyatt" skrev i meddelandet news:59862fcb.-1@webcrossing.YajCaaooa8G...
[...]

Jacques van der Zwaan - Oct 2, 2019 9:04 am (#8 Total: 28)

Photo of Author
Jacques van der…
One of our customers reported the same issue(s) yesterday. Today I went to the specific customer to do some testing. The most problems occurred when an e-mail was being created with an attachment. I checked for Windows updates, installed the latest BETA but nothing helped. Then I opened Outlook, went to File -> Office Account -> Check for updates.

Even though Microsoft Office showed that updates are automatically installed, I received several updates. After installing these, the problems went away. I did this trick on all the affected computers and nobody reported problems anymore.

Maybe this can help someone.

Martin Wyatt - Jan 16, 2020 11:38 am (#9 Total: 28)

Photo of Author
Martin Wyatt
I'm revisiting this issue.

My users went from revolt to accepting the new normal of daily crashing/freezing, although they are still unhappy. They still hate me and the email system. But I'm determined to fix it. I feel like I've narrowed it down to three culprits: attachment size, attachment quantity, and folder count.

Attachment Size:

First, a dozen or more users send and receive lots of large attachments, sometimes 15MB up to 40MB. Of course this was never a problem with Outlook OST/PST. When I sorted a user's Outlook sent items folder I noticed hundreds of emails with large attachments. Just the act of selecting 5 or 10 of these emails would cause Outlook to freeze, or if I got to where I could manually move a few of these to a PST archive Outlook would often freeze until it crashed and restarted. Still I trudged on manually moving emails containing large attachments from Sent, Deleted, Inbox, and elsewhere to an external PST archive. IMAP doesn't seem to gracefully handle lots of large attachments.

Moving emails with large attachments out of seemed to cure the freezing/hanging in every case except five users.

Attachment Quantity:

Most of my 100 MD Connector users have thousands of attachments, which means the MD Connector folder C:/Users/%USERNAME%/AppData/Roaming/Alt-N/Outlook Connector 2.0/Accounts/MDaemonProfile/user@domain.com/Attachments contains the aggregate of all those email attachments. All the PDFs, JPGs, etc all reside here.

By virtue of moving emails with large attachments to a PST file, many of these attachments moved with their associated email. But I still had to resort to archiving everything over 3 months old to really reduce this quantity down to less than a few hundred.

Folder Count:

Then I have several users with more than 1,000 folders in Outlook. This absolutely bogs down IMAP. As I've witnessed this I can't blame MD Connector since it's an Outlook IMAP limitation. Microsoft states that Outlook's limit is 500 folders. With Exchange/Office365 this limit didn't really apply since there must be some magical interaction between Outlook and Exchange. But Outlook with a regular IMAP server like MDaemon I believe that limit is real.

For users with hundreds or thousands of Outlook folders, reducing their folder count down to a few dozen was the solution to Outlook hanging/freezing.

---

One or any combination of these three things has helped restore sanity to several users. I'm working with each individually to verify these truly help, but so far it has worked.

  (newer msg:19)All MessagesOldest ItemsOlder ItemsNewer ItemsNewest Items