Logout

Alt-N Discussion Groups > MDaemon Discussion Groups > MDaemon Support > Archive > Outlook Won't Start?

Outlook Won't Start?

I haven't quite put my finger on it but after a recent Outlook update it seems like any manipulation of the MD connector causes Outlook to not start. Sometimes I can fix it with a reboot. Sometimes I can fix it with applying Office updates. Sometimes I can use Microsoft's SARA tool or repairing office from the control panel to resolve the issue.

I am at the point where I expect the problem but I can't quite reproduce it on demand. It is driving me NUTS. It feels like MC is flaky. I can hook all the users up by IMAP - but my need is a shared calendar. If I can find an alternative to the MD shared calendar I can bail on the MC.

Anyway, just throwing this out there because I am crazy stressed and generally toast for a number of reasons and the mdaemon flakiness is causing me significant distress.

As I write this I am trying to reset my personal outlook/MC connection because 19.5 disabled the MC by default and I was using my personal machine to debug the issue. I removed my MC profile on Outlook and add it back. I have YEARS of email on there and it KEEPS FRIGGIN HANGING during sync. I will offering an apology for being overly emotional at the moment: but this sucks. MC keep hanging during re-sync and I need to keep closing and continuing, just like I used to have to do. This update to 19.5 required me to reboot my server. WTF? Rebooting == downtime. The reboot exposed a hardware issue (yay?) that left me offline for two days. Once back online I find MC no longer works. Once I figure out why I try to resync and I can't. I start working on user machines and it is a nightmare. One might work, another might not. What is with the flakiness? It would appear to use standard ports? I am not pleased.

I have been using MDaemon (alt-n) products for over twenty years and just re-upped my mdaemon license. Gluten for punishment, perhaps?

Apologies, alt-n/mdaemon. As I mentioned I am overly emotional at the moment and frustrated. I just want the software to work and it is not happening. Can we not ask dumbass users, "A new version of mdaemon connector is available, would you like to cause problems?" Understand that I am approaching this as an enterprise/managed product and users are dumb. Don't ask them any questions and make the product work.

While I have been writing this I have had to hard restart outlook several times because it keeps locking up during sync like it used to.

Please. Do better.

  (older msg: 2)All MessagesOldest ItemsOlder ItemsNewer ItemsNewest Items

Jim Aguiar - Nov 5, 2019 8:38 am (#3 Total: 12)

Photo of Author
Jim Aguiar
Last night I was attempting to resolve an issue with a user. Outlook was functioning. I closed outlook. I went into the mail config in the control panel. I manually purged and compressed the cache file.

Then I went to start outlook, it flashes the splash screen and died. This has been the behavior I have been seeing for the last few weeks. I don't have a specific cause, I just know if I touch the MDC outlook might not start. I have gone through quick repair, online repair, uninstall of the client, uninstall of office - but last night I THINK I figured out that once that happens, if I log the user out and back in - the issues seems to resolve itself. (REBOOT DOES NOT WORK, THAT LEAVES THE USER LOGGED IN - W10 Pro)

While writing this I had a user call me, She started outlook, tried to start a new email and outlook froze "Not Responding".

I have these problems as do quite a few others in the company. MDC is primarily in user for the shared company calendar - which as you may recall has been giving me grief for years. I believe the last tech support person spoke with said that we have outgrown the calendar - so I have been moving events off the primary calendar to a backup calendar. But I am getting off topic.

This is Office 2016 and Office 365 Pro, 64-bit, windows 10 pro, MDC 64, MD 19.5, all browser and O/S updates and patches have been applied.

Arron.Caruth@mdaemon.com - Nov 5, 2019 9:17 am (#4 Total: 12)

Hi Jim,

Were you able to collect any memory dumps using the instructions provided?

Here are links to the instructions again.

If Outlook is crashing you can use these instructions:

https://www.altn.com/Support/KnowledgeBase/KnowledgeBaseResults/?Number=KBA-01835

If Outlook is hanging you can use these instructions:

https://www.altn.com/Support/KnowledgeBase/KnowledgeBaseResults/?Number=KBA-01836

In addition to the memory dumps, please also include a configuration report from MDaemon Connector for us.  To create a configuration report, open Outlook and go to MDaemon Connector toolbar / About / Report.

Once you have captured the memory dumps, please zip them, along with a configuration report, and upload them to our FTP server.

Server: r2d2.altn.com

Username: Uploader

Password: incoming

[...]

View/reply at Outlook Won't Start?