Logout

Alt-N Discussion Groups > MDaemon Discussion Groups > MDaemon Support > Archive > MTA-STS failure for gmail.com: STARTTLS not supported

MTA-STS failure for gmail.com: STARTTLS not supported

[Reinoehl, Parrish]
Parrish Reinoeh…
Parrish Reinoehl - 02:25pm, Jun 29 2020

I just upgraded a customer to Mdaemon v20 this weekend. Today they are having issues with mail delivery failing. It appears to be primarily to gmail.accounts. The error is 'MTA-STS failure for gmail.com: STARTTLS not supported'.
I assume this is due to the new MTA-STS implementation in version 20. I need to resolve this ASAP. At the very least I need to know how to disable MTA-STS on the Mdaemon server side. I dug through all of the settings and found zero mention of MTA-STS anywhere.

Parrish Reinoehl - Jun 29, 2020 11:04 pm (#2 Total: 5)

Photo of Author
Parrish Reinoeh…
One more update. I read through the v20 release notes and found where the controls for MTA-STS (as well as REQUIRETLS). I disabled MTA-STS and email is now flowing again to gmail.
But I still need to resolve the issue with STARTTLS not being advertised. Any ideas with this? I do want to use TLS and MTA-STA (for obvious reasons).

Arron Caruth - Jun 30, 2020 7:10 am (#3 Total: 5)

Can you post a log snippet of your server trying to send to gmail when MTA-STS was enabled and the session was failing?

Can you post a snippet of your server now that shows STARTTLS not being advertised?

In MDaemon under, Security / Security Manager  / SSL & TLS / MDaemon, can you post a screen shot of the check boxes at the top so we can see which ones are currently enabled?

> I do want to use TLS and MTA-STA (for obvious reasons).

I highly recommend that we try to fix the issues you were seeing instead of simply disabling these features.

One more update. I read through the v20 release notes and found where the controls for MTA-STS (as well as REQUIRETLS). I disabled MTA-STS and email is now flowing again to gmail.
But I still need to resolve the issue with STARTTLS not being advertised. Any ideas with this? I do want to use TLS and MTA-STA (for obvious reasons).

View/reply at MTA-STS failure for gmail.com: STARTTLS not supported