Logout

Alt-N Discussion Groups > MDaemon Discussion Groups > MDaemon Issues > Archive > Mdaemon performance

 [F] Alt-N Discussion Groups  / MDaemon Discussion Groups  / MDaemon Issues  / Archive  /

Mdaemon performance

[Palmer, Clive]
Clive Palmer

Outlook Connector
SecurityPlus
WebAdmin
Clive Palmer - 08:48am, Oct 2 2020

We do a weekly mailing through Constant Contact and will get approximately 800 to 900 Auto Response emails coming to us after this mailing.
When this happens our Inbound queue will have all these emails which will cause our users outgoing emails, including mail sent to local users to be delayed for up to 2 hrs.
I tried looking at various filtering options including custom queues as well mail priority but nothing in Mdaemon will allow the Inbound queue to process mail more quickly.

Are there other settings or options that I should be considering in order to process new incoming or outgoing mail faster?

Clive Palmer - Oct 2, 2020 10:31 am (#2 Total: 8)

Photo of Author
Clive Palmer

Outlook Connector
SecurityPlus
WebAdmin
Replying to: Arron Caruth (Oct 2, 2020 9:15 am)
On the proper hardware, MDaemon should be processing 800-900 messages out of the inbound queue in minutes, not hours. What version...

We are running Mdaemon 20.0.0

OS = Windows 7 64bit

Hardware = Dell T320 Intel Xeon Processor E5-2407 2.2 Ghz 16GB RAM

Internal SAS HD (Raid 1)

Currently the Disk Queue length is .05 It doesnt display individual readings for Read, Write

Routing log

Arron Caruth - Oct 2, 2020 11:29 am (#3 Total: 8)

While it is entirely possible to run MDaemon on a Workstation OS, it is not recommended.  With that being said, it should still be possible to achieve acceptable performance on a workstation OS as long as the hardware can keep up.

Are you looking at logical disks or physical disks?  I’d suggest checking both.

Performance monitor should be able to show you Average Disk Queue Length, Average Disk Read Queue Length, Average Disk Write Queue Length, and Current Disk Queue Length for the logical and physical disks.

Was the issue occurring when the disk queue length was .05? What are the queue lengths when the issue is occurring?

How many users are setup in MDaemon?

Do you have more specific details on the specifications for the hard drives?  How many RPM are they?  What is the Data Transfer Rate?

Is everything on the machine using a single RAID 1 array?

Ultimately, since I know the software is capable of performing at a higher level, we are simply trying to find the bottleneck.  In my experience, it is most often the hard drives.  MDaemon is very I/O intensive and often time disks on machines, especially workstations, cannot keep up with the demands when MDaemon is under a load.  When the disks can’t keep up it results in slow processing of mail.

Hardware = Dell T320 Intel Xeon Processor E5-2407 2.2 Ghz 16GB RAM

Internal SAS HD (Raid 1)

Currently the Disk Queue length is .05 It doesnt display individual readings for Read, Write

View/reply at Mdaemon performance

This list is for questions and discussions regarding issues with MDAEMON.
md-issues-unsubscribe@mdaemon.com .