Logout

Alt-N Discussion Groups > Discussions > After Migration no connection on outlook via port 25

After Migration no connection on outlook via port 25

[Karpas, Andrius]
Andrius Karpas
Andrius Karpas - 11:49am, Nov 6 2021

The error I'm getting is then outgoing mail goes via 143 and 25 no SSL "Send test email message: None of the authentication methods supported by this client are supported by your server." This happened after migration to a new server. No settings are changed, firewall opened whats war requested, router firewall nothing changed as the same IP. HELP where to start looking for problems? I am forced to use 465 with SSL. I need it to work on 25 no SSL for some old crap services.

Jay Tolbert - Nov 8, 2021 5:21 pm (#1 Total: 6)

Photo of Author
Jay Tolbert
Guru
Guru

RelayFax
SecurityPlus
WebAdmin
First, look at the Mail -> SMTP(in) screen in the configuration session
(GUI application).  See what the log shows MDaemon is sending in
response to an EHLO command.  Do any of the 250 response lines have AUTH
followed by a bunch of methods.  For example:

--> 250-AUTH LOGIN CRAM-MD5 PLAIN

If not check that you don't have Security -> Security Manager, Sender
Authentication -> SMTP Authentication "Do not allow authentication on
the SMTP port" checked.

Second, in the list of 250 responses to an EHLO command does a line
appear about location screening?  Form example:

Location Screening hiding AUTH from country United States, North America

If so go to Security -> Security Manager, Screening -> Location
Screening check that you don't have it enabled, "SMTP connections are
accepted but authentication is blocked" checked and have your connecting
country checked on the list.

Third, if you get an AUTH response but it only contains CRAM-MD5 and the
client you are using doesn't support that, go to Setup -> Server
Settings, Servers & Delivery -> Servers and see if "Allow plain text
passwords" is unchecked.  That stops the insecure password methods PLAIN
and LOGIN being used on an insecure connection.

Jay Tolbert
Dickerson Engineering, Inc.

On 11/6/2021 11:49 AM, Andrius Karpas wrote:
> The error I'm getting is then outgoing mail goes via 143 and 25 no SSL
> "Send test email message: None of the authentication methods supported
> by this client are supported by your server." This happened after
> migration to a new server. No settings are changed, firewall opened
> whats war requested, router firewall nothing changed as the same IP.
> HELP where to start looking for problems? I am forced to use 465 with
> SSL. I need it to work on 25 no SSL for some old crap services.

Replies to this message
  • Andrius Karpas (Nov 8, 2021 5:58 pm)

  • Return |

    Andrius Karpas - Nov 8, 2021 5:58 pm (#2 Total: 6)

    Photo of Author
    Andrius Karpas
    Replying to: Jay Tolbert (Nov 8, 2021 5:21 pm)
    First, look at the Mail -> SMTP(in) screen in the configuration session (GUI application).  See what the log shows...

    Hello Jay, first of all, thank you for the reply and advice!
    I have checked SMTP in log and it has loads of entries as you have provided:--> 250-AUTH LOGIN CRAM-MD5 PLAIN
    next: "Do not allow authentication on the SMTP port": is not checked.
    next: location screening is enabled but "SMTP connections are accepted but authentication is blocked": is not checked.
    next: "Allow plain text passwords": is checked.

    Jay Tolbert - Nov 9, 2021 4:43 pm (#3 Total: 6)

    Photo of Author
    Jay Tolbert
    Guru
    Guru

    RelayFax
    SecurityPlus
    WebAdmin
    If you are getting that AUTH line, I would think older hardware should
    be able to authenticate.

    If you get If you can find one, can you post up the SMTP transaction for
    one of the failures?

    This wikipedia article
    (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMTP_Authentication) has a list of some
    of the authentication options.  If it is older equipment you are
    connecting from I would expect it to use PLAIN or LOGIN for the
    authentication.  Do you know what authentication methods the 'old crap
    services' can use?

    Jay Tolbert
    Dickerson Engineering, Inc.

    On 11/8/2021 4:58 PM, Andrius Karpas wrote:
    > Hello Jay, first of all, thank you for the reply and advice!
    > I have checked SMTP in log and it has loads of entries as you have
    > provided:--> 250-AUTH LOGIN CRAM-MD5 PLAIN
    > next: "Do not allow authentication on the SMTP port": is not checked.
    > next: location screening is enabled but "SMTP connections are accepted
    > but authentication is blocked": is not checked.
    > next: "Allow plain text passwords": is checked.

    Replies to this message
  • Andrius Karpas (Nov 15, 2021 8:09 am)

  • Andrius Karpas - Nov 15, 2021 8:09 am (#4 Total: 6)

    Photo of Author
    Andrius Karpas
    Replying to: Jay Tolbert (Nov 9, 2021 4:43 pm)
    If you are getting that AUTH line, I would think older hardware should be able to authenticate. If you...

    Looks like it settled down and its only new outlook app is not able to connect via port 25. Thich is weird anyway.

      (newer msg:2)All MessagesOldest ItemsOlder ItemsNewer ItemsNewest Items