Logout

Alt-N Discussion Groups > MDaemon Discussion Groups > MDaemon Support > What is the semaphore file for reloading cfdelfiles.dat?

fabio vitale

Which Alt-N products do you use?

Most recent posts: fabio vitale

What log to dig for auth requests? - 12:45pm Oct 11, 2018 CDT - Thank you Jay!

Il 11 Ottobre 2018 18:54:19 CEST, "lists-md-support@mdaemon.com -- Jay Tolbert" <lists-md-support@mdaemon.com> ha scritto:
You need to look separately in each log as far as I know unless your
MDaemon creates an All log.

For SMTP you can look for <-- AUTH.  That will give you the start of
authentication.  Usually ends with either 'Authenticated as' or
'Authentication Failed' without the quotes.  But I sometimes see
spammers that give an AUTH LOGIN command without using STARTTLS first so
those get an '538 5.7.11 An SSL connection is required' because I
require secure authentication and if location screening prevents the
AUTH from even being sent as a possible command in the MDaemon response
to the EHLO command they get a '500 5.0.0 Unrecognized command'.

The IMAP you can look for LOGIN.  Output looks to be similar with
'Authenticated as'  for success. I didn't find a failure string but I
assume it would be similar.

Don't use POP.

Jay Tolbert
Dickerson Engineering, Inc.

On 10/10/2018 11:10 AM, Fabio VITALE (fabio.vitale@envisioning.it) wrote:
I need to investigate for  SMPT, IMAP, POP authentication attempts.
What log to dig for authentication requests?
What string to look for, to discriminate failed authentications
attempt from succesful ones?
It would be nice to have a dedicated log, maybe it already exists and
I do not know due to my ignorance.
tanks
--
fabio vitale
Envisioning s.r.l.

Le informazioni contenute nel presente documento sono riservate
all'uso esclusivo del destinatario e possono essere soggette alla
normativa sulla privacy ed al segreto professionale. Se il lettore non
e l'inteso destinatario, si notifica che non deve utilizzarlo,
riprodurlo, diffonderlo, copiarlo in qualsiasi forma o agire facendovi
affidamento...

What log to dig for auth requests? - 12:49pm Oct 11, 2018 CDT -

I need to investigate for  SMPT, IMAP, POP authentication attempts.
What log to dig for authentication requests?
What string to look for, to discriminate failed authentications attempt from succesful ones?
It would be nice to have a dedicated log, maybe it already exists and I do not know due to my ignorance.

tanks

--
fabio vitale
Envisioning s.r.l.
72 via asmara
00199 roma

mailto:fabio.vitale@envisioning.it

Le informazioni contenute nel presente documento sono riservate all'uso esclusivo del destinatario e possono essere soggette alla normativa sulla privacy ed al segreto professionale. Se il lettore non e l'inteso destinatario, si notifica che non deve utilizzarlo, riprodurlo, diffonderlo, copiarlo in qualsiasi forma o agire facendovi affidamento. Se Lei ha ricevuto questo messaggio per errore, e pregato di distruggerlo, anche in ogni sua copia, ed avvisare immediatamente ENVISIONING al seguente numero 00390686325304 o all'indirizzo mail@envisioning.it...

days - 01:45am Oct 10, 2018 CDT -

Thank you David: Crystal Clear!

I suggest adding your clarification and explanation, exactly as is, to the MDaemon User Guide.

From: "Leigh.Cain@mdaemon.com -- Leigh Cain" <Leigh.Cain@mdaemon.com>
To: md-support@mdaemon.com
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2018 09:16:01 -0500
Subject: [md-support] Unable to stop/kill MDaemn service

Hello Fabio,

In my tests the MDaemon service does get removed from the services console, however if you have it open when you remove it from MDaemon you would need to refresh the list to see that it's gone.

The WebAdmin, WorldClient, and XMPP processes are started separately from the MDaemon service, removing the MDaemon service does not affect them.

Unless you have a specific reason (such as needing to run MD as a domain level account so it can access resources not on the same machine it runs on) then I don't recommend changing MD to not run as System.

After removing the MDaemon service and recreating it, does MDaemon shut down properly now?

--
Thank You,

Leigh Cain
Quality Assurance Analyst
o: 817-601-3222 e: leigh.cain@mdaemon.com

From: "Fabio VITALE (fabio.vitale@envisioning.it)" <fabio.vitale@envisioning.it>
To: md-support@mdaemon.com
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2018 09:35:55 +0200

As far as I have investigated my issue, what follows are my findings.

Following the Leigh's procedure to troubleshoot my issue:

1. Goto Setup | Preferences | Windows Service
2. Clicked the "Remove Service" button: got a "Service was successfully removed" dialog
3...

OK

You are visiting as a Guest user.