Logout

Alt-N Discussion Groups > MDaemon Discussion Groups > MDaemon Support > Archive > Outlook Won't Start?

Outlook Won't Start?

I haven't quite put my finger on it but after a recent Outlook update it seems like any manipulation of the MD connector causes Outlook to not start. Sometimes I can fix it with a reboot. Sometimes I can fix it with applying Office updates. Sometimes I can use Microsoft's SARA tool or repairing office from the control panel to resolve the issue.

I am at the point where I expect the problem but I can't quite reproduce it on demand. It is driving me NUTS. It feels like MC is flaky. I can hook all the users up by IMAP - but my need is a shared calendar. If I can find an alternative to the MD shared calendar I can bail on the MC.

Anyway, just throwing this out there because I am crazy stressed and generally toast for a number of reasons and the mdaemon flakiness is causing me significant distress.

As I write this I am trying to reset my personal outlook/MC connection because 19.5 disabled the MC by default and I was using my personal machine to debug the issue. I removed my MC profile on Outlook and add it back. I have YEARS of email on there and it KEEPS FRIGGIN HANGING during sync. I will offering an apology for being overly emotional at the moment: but this sucks. MC keep hanging during re-sync and I need to keep closing and continuing, just like I used to have to do. This update to 19.5 required me to reboot my server. WTF? Rebooting == downtime. The reboot exposed a hardware issue (yay?) that left me offline for two days. Once back online I find MC no longer works. Once I figure out why I try to resync and I can't. I start working on user machines and it is a nightmare. One might work, another might not. What is with the flakiness? It would appear to use standard ports? I am not pleased.

I have been using MDaemon (alt-n) products for over twenty years and just re-upped my mdaemon license. Gluten for punishment, perhaps?

Apologies, alt-n/mdaemon. As I mentioned I am overly emotional at the moment and frustrated. I just want the software to work and it is not happening. Can we not ask dumbass users, "A new version of mdaemon connector is available, would you like to cause problems?" Understand that I am approaching this as an enterprise/managed product and users are dumb. Don't ask them any questions and make the product work.

While I have been writing this I have had to hard restart outlook several times because it keeps locking up during sync like it used to.

Please. Do better.

  (older msg: 4)All MessagesOldest ItemsOlder ItemsNewer ItemsNewest Items

Jim Aguiar - Nov 5, 2019 3:29 pm (#5 Total: 12)

Photo of Author
Jim Aguiar
I haven't had a chance, I've been running around all day cleaning up messes.

Came back just now to offer that I had a user with an MC account as their primary and an IMAP account as a secondary. I closed outlook, removed their IMAP account from the mail applet in the control panel - then Outlook wouldn't start.

Logging off, rebooting - nothing helped. Needed to do an Online Repair, logoff, and then Outlook opened back up.

I am feeling like I have years of pent up angst against OC/MC but in this case it is being expressed and applied inappropriately where it would actually be recent Outlook updates. This only started recently, and the first few times it happened I was able to go through Word and apply updates and the problem would be fixed, so I am guessing that it was a Windows Update that started this and when touching the Mail applet it corrupts something in Outlook or the Outlook profile that is occasionally fixed with a logoff, a reboot or a repair. There is no single event to cause the issue or to fix the issue but the symptom is the same: if you do SOMETHING in the Mail applet, Outlook occasionally decides to just not open.

When I get a chance I'll get you dumps. I have several offices that are hours apart from each other and I've needed to be on site at all of them and it chews up the day. Thank you!!

Jim Aguiar - Nov 5, 2019 3:31 pm (#6 Total: 12)

Photo of Author
Jim Aguiar
It looks like I can try to grab one now. Just a moment.

Jim Aguiar - Nov 5, 2019 3:40 pm (#7 Total: 12)

Photo of Author
Jim Aguiar
Couple of things. First: That link if for v2 update 2 - the current version is update 3.

Second, I didn't realize this was a live recorder, I thought it was a post mortem tool.

Third, so I needed to cause the problem. I closed Outlook, went into the mail applet in control panel, manually purged and compressed the cache file, closed everything then went back to outlook - boom. Crash. So I was able to record a crash.

I started an online fix for office and am uploading the dump now.

Jim Aguiar - Nov 5, 2019 3:45 pm (#8 Total: 12)

Photo of Author
Jim Aguiar
Uploaded, ~200mb

Arron.Caruth@mdaemon.com - Nov 5, 2019 4:48 pm (#9 Total: 12)

Thanks for the crash dump.

This is an issue that was recently introduced by Office updates and it should only be affecting build 1909 of Outlook 2016.  Downgrading to Outlook 2016 version 1908 or upgrading to 1910 should fix the issue.  I believe you still have to be an Office Insider to get version 1910.  Some customers have also reported Windows updates fix the issues for them but we have been unable to confirm that.