Logout

Alt-N Discussion Groups > MDaemon Discussion Groups > MDaemon Support > Archive > Messages randomly not accessible to random users

Messages randomly not accessible to random users

[Reinoehl, Parrish]
Parrish Reinoeh…
Parrish Reinoehl - 10:29pm, Feb 28 2020

I'm having a very strange problem that we haven't been able to resolve. I have been working with Alt-N support but we can't nail down the cause.
So, hopefully, someone here might have some ideas.
We are running Mdaemon 19.5.4 on a Server 2012 box. It is a 32bit install.
We are having an issue where a random user is unable to access their messages either via IMAP or Webmail. The user that is affected appears to be completely random. The frequency of this happening seems to be a few times per week.
What they will notice is that Outlook will stop receiving new messages. They can send messages without any issue. If they log in via Webmail it will allow them to log in but it will not display any messages (although it does show the total number of messages present in the account). When I look at the Mdaemon sessions I can see they are logged in so this is not an issue with the user or IP being blacklisted (and I have verified their IP address is not showing up in any blacklists).
I have to stop and then restart the Mdaemon service. As soon as I do that, and immediately after Mdaemon starts back up, all of their emails will load in to Outlook (Outlook is configured using IMAP). Webmail will also now display all of their messages.
I have verified that the entire Mdaemon directory and subdirectories are excluded from the antivirus (which is Avast CloudCare). The user folders are in their standard location within the Mdaemon directory and it is located on the C: drive of the server (so not on a NAS or anything like that).
I have sent various log files to Alt-N support but nothing is showing up as being a problem.
My users are growing extremely impatient with this. Does anyone have any ideas of what else I should be looking at?
This customer was previously on an old version, 16.5, and was experiencing this issue maybe once per month or so. I renewed their Mdaemon support contract so we could upgrade them to 19.5.4 in the hopes it would resolve the trouble. But, in actuality, it's made the trouble much more prominent as it now happens a few times (or more) per week.

  (older msg: 21)All MessagesOldest ItemsOlder ItemsNewer ItemsNewest Items

Foo Kok Wai via md-support - May 12, 2020 8:32 am (#22 Total: 24)

Thanks, will see what I can do.

---

On 12 May 2020, at 9:12 PM, Arron Caruth <lists-md-support@mdaemon.com> wrote:

A new message was posted by Arron Caruth in

MDaemon Support --
  Messages randomly not accessible to random users

Without knowing more about the cause of the disk errors, I’m not sure if migrating to a new data store would help.  It could help, but if the issue is with the disk drivers on the VM MDaemon is running on, the problem could continue.

If migrating to a new data store is an easy change for you, it might be a good diagnostic step.  If the problem continues you know its not the data store.  If the problem goes away, you know it was the data store.