Logout

Alt-N Discussion Groups > MDaemon Discussion Groups > MDaemon Support > Archive > Messages randomly not accessible to random users

Messages randomly not accessible to random users

[Reinoehl, Parrish]
Parrish Reinoeh…
Parrish Reinoehl - 10:29pm, Feb 28 2020

I'm having a very strange problem that we haven't been able to resolve. I have been working with Alt-N support but we can't nail down the cause.
So, hopefully, someone here might have some ideas.
We are running Mdaemon 19.5.4 on a Server 2012 box. It is a 32bit install.
We are having an issue where a random user is unable to access their messages either via IMAP or Webmail. The user that is affected appears to be completely random. The frequency of this happening seems to be a few times per week.
What they will notice is that Outlook will stop receiving new messages. They can send messages without any issue. If they log in via Webmail it will allow them to log in but it will not display any messages (although it does show the total number of messages present in the account). When I look at the Mdaemon sessions I can see they are logged in so this is not an issue with the user or IP being blacklisted (and I have verified their IP address is not showing up in any blacklists).
I have to stop and then restart the Mdaemon service. As soon as I do that, and immediately after Mdaemon starts back up, all of their emails will load in to Outlook (Outlook is configured using IMAP). Webmail will also now display all of their messages.
I have verified that the entire Mdaemon directory and subdirectories are excluded from the antivirus (which is Avast CloudCare). The user folders are in their standard location within the Mdaemon directory and it is located on the C: drive of the server (so not on a NAS or anything like that).
I have sent various log files to Alt-N support but nothing is showing up as being a problem.
My users are growing extremely impatient with this. Does anyone have any ideas of what else I should be looking at?
This customer was previously on an old version, 16.5, and was experiencing this issue maybe once per month or so. I renewed their Mdaemon support contract so we could upgrade them to 19.5.4 in the hopes it would resolve the trouble. But, in actuality, it's made the trouble much more prominent as it now happens a few times (or more) per week.

  (older msg: 22)All MessagesOldest ItemsOlder ItemsNewer ItemsNewest Items

Tomas Francis Ralfs via md-support - May 12, 2020 8:53 am (#23 Total: 24)

Messages randomly accessible to random users

From: Arron Caruth <Arron.Caruth@mdaemon.com>
To: md-support@mdaemon.com
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 08:00:00 -0500
Subject: [md-support] Messages randomly accessible to random users

Thank you for the additional details that you uploaded.

Do we still have a copy of the original .msg file that were accessible by the user?  Did they forward them as an attachment, for example?  Or are they in the users Deleted Items folder? I believe the answer to this is no, but I wanted to double check because the original messages could be very helpful.  The forwarded copies that you provided help, but we lose all the original message headers which can have very helpful information.
No the files are gone when I restart MDaemon and they as far as I can tell are not really in that folder since they are not visible trough worldclient.

Does the user share their inbox with anyone on the server?
The users that this has happened to no

I’m not sure we are going to be able to find sufficient information to determine what happened but can you send me all of your MDaemon logs for May 8,9,10, and 11.  I’ll go through them and see what I can find.
 I can upload them but they are pretty large as I log everything, or you can pull them from ftp: mail.tomas.to  User: arron Password:  MDaemon20

In case this occurs again, lease enable debug logging for Activesync, make sure that MDaemon is configured to log detailed mail sessions, and that we are logging as much data as we can.
 You can change the ActiveSync log level to debug by going to Setup / Mobile Device Management / Diagnostics, in the log level drop down select Debug, then click OK.

I have done this on the 2 servers now

Then go to Setup / Server Settings / Logging / Log Mode, make sure the radio button for log detailed mail sessions is enabled.  On the Settings dialog make sure you are Logging all activity.
That I have been doing for a while now

If this happens again, please have the user login to webmail to see if they can see the messages from webmail.

They couldnt see messages in webmail.

Then go to the user’s mailbox and collect the actual .msg files for the messages that they can see that they should not be able to see.   Also include the user’s email address that should not be able to see the messages and if possible an estimate of when they first saw the messages in their mailbox, and all of MDaemon’s logs for that day.  If the user is not sure, zip the logs for the day the messages were originally received by MDaemon and every day since then.  At a minimum I would like logs for the day the messages were originally received by MDaemon and for the day the wrong user was able to view the messages in their mailbox.
I will see if I can copy it in Outlook over to another folder.

Lastly, please capture hang dumps for MDaemon.exe and WorldClient.exe while the issue is occurring.  If you are running webmail via IIS, then we will need a dump of the w3wp.exe process associated with the correct application pool.
 I have both, on running IIS (seequre.it) and the other one using your server.

Zip up the messages along with all of the logs and dump files and send them to me.

From: Arron Caruth <Arron.Caruth@mdaemon.com>
To: md-support@mdaemon.com
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 10:58:00 -0500
OK, This sounds like a different issue than what the thread was originally created for.

Just to make sure I’m understanding correctly, a user is seeing messages that are not in his mailbox, correct?
Yes, I have had 2 users that have reported seing email not ment to them in their inboxes

Is the user seeing the messages via IMAP, webmail, and ActiveSync, or just ActiveSync?
I restarted the server before I could check that, but the common thread here would be activesync in Outlook and AS on Iphone.

What folder is the user seeing the messages in?

In their inbox/root

Can you send me the routing logs that include the time period when the message was originally delivery to the mailbox along with ActiveSync logs for the time period when the message showed up in the wrong mailbox?
 Done
Also, please send me the email address of the user that is seeing the messages that should not be in their mailbox as well as the details for the message, such as subject, from and to?
Info in the Users Affected.txt file in the armand users.rar file I am uploading now

And to confirm, restarted MDaemon fixed the issue?
 Seems to have done it now for the last user. For the first user, they where gone the next morning..

Can you also include ActiveSync logs for the time period when MDameon was restarted?
Done

Also, we will need to try to figure out if the messages are actually stored on disk in the wrong user’s mailbox or if something else is happening.  The next time this occurs, please check to see if the message actually exists in the user’s mailbox.  You can check this by logging into webmail and also looking at the user’s mailbox on disk.
 If it gets reported again, I will look log in and check.
We will also take a look at the dump files that you uploaded to see if there are any clues that might help us.

Thanks,

From: Arron Caruth <Arron.Caruth@mdaemon.com>
To: md-support@mdaemon.com
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 07:54:00 -0500
Subject: [md-support] Messages randomly not accessible to random users

Hello,

I’m not sure I’m following, are you saying that user’s were unable to access messages in their own account or that user’s were able to see messages from other users that they should not have been able to see?

What version of MDaemon are you running?

Did you find .LCK files in the MDaemon\LockFiles directory that were not being removed?  Did removing the LCK files fix the issue?

From: Arron Caruth <Arron.Caruth@mdaemon.com>
To: md-support@mdaemon.com
Date: Fri, 08 May 2020 07:20:00 -0500

The next time this occurs, will you capture a dump of the MDaemon.exe  process before you fix it?

To do this, close the MDaemon configuration session (If you have one open), then open task manager, right click on the mdaemon.exe process and select Create Dump File.  Once the dump file is created, zip it and upload it to our FTP server.

Server: r2d2.altn.com
Username: Uploader
Password: incoming