Logout

Alt-N Discussion Groups > MDaemon Discussion Groups > MDaemon Support > Archive > Migration to new server with fresh install

Migration to new server with fresh install

[Peek, Dan]
Dan Peek
Dan Peek - 11:43am, Mar 5 2020

Hello,
I need to move our existing MDaemon server installation to a new server. We have been running the current server installation for many years through numerous version updates. I have read the KB articles on how to do this. What I would like to do is to have a fresh installation (without all of the cobwebs from the years and updates) on the new server, and simply migrate all of our users and public folders to the new server.

Can you offer any suggestions on the best way to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Dan

David C - Mar 9, 2020 4:43 pm (#1 Total: 3)

Photo of Author
David C
Guru
Guru
You stated:

    " What I would like to do is to have a fresh installation (without all of the cobwebs from the years and updates) on the new server, and simply migrate all of our users and public folders to the new server."

We have no knowledge base article with steps for that but you can try the following steps.

1.) Run the MDaemon installation on the new computer using your existing MDaemon registration key. There's your fresh installation.

2.) Stop the MDaemon service and verify that all of the MDaemon executables have exited memory.

3.) Using a plain text editor open configuration file "MDaemon.ini" in default location "C:/MDaemon/App/" and look for section "[Directories]".

4.) The line beginning with "PublicFolders=" shows where this new MDaemon installation will look for public folders. Remove the contents of the folder indicated by the line above and copy the contents of your old public folder to this location on your new server. There are your public folders.

If you are storing your user accounts in the default "UserList.dat" file

  • http://help.altn.com/mdaemon/en/index.html?account_db--account_database_options.htm

    the UserList.dat file contains the paths to all of your end-user mailbox folders.

    The following knowledge base article describes the format of the "UserList.dat" file:

      KB 219 Userlist file format

    Copy your user mail folders from the old computer to the locations on the new server that match the paths listed in the "UserList.dat" file on your old server.

    Copy the "UserList.dat" file from your old computer to the new computer. There are your user folders.

    Copy the file "/MDaemon/App/domains.dat" from your old computer to the MDaemon "App" folder on your new computer. It contains all of the domains on your copy of MDaemon.

    Copy the file "/MDaemon/App/alias.dat" from your old computer to the MDaemon "App" folder on your new computer. It contains all of the aliases on your copy of MDaemon.

    Copy the contents of the folder "/MDaemon/Pem/" from the old computer to your new computer. This folder contains all of your DKIM keys if you are using DKIM, your Backscatter protection private keys, and your PGP info.

    (For some reason that I cannot fathom all of my backslashes were converted to front slashes ("/"), but I think that you and any other readers of this post will understand that windows expects backslashes in its folder paths.)

    If you have an SSL certificate installed into the Windows certificate store on your old computer, you will have to export it from that machine and import it to the Windows certificate store on the new machine. You should be able to find instructions on the web to accomplish this.

    I think that gets over all of the important things from your old machine.

    You will now need to review every setting in all of the menus on the new machine and see if they will work in the environment of the new machine.

    The MDaemon online "Help" file

  • http://help.altn.com/mdaemon/en/index.html?introduction.htm

    contains the default settings (and that is what a fresh installation of MDaemon should have), but you may need to change some of them.

    I especially suggest that you review the following MDaemon Technologies knowledge base articles on recommended security settings and make sure that you have all of the recommended settings enabled on your copy of MDaemon.

      KB 1190 Recommended Security, Dynamic Screening, Spam Filter, Anti-Virus, and Outbreak Protection Settings

      KB 855 What are the recommended Host Screen settings for MDaemon?

    I hope that accomplishes what you are after.

  • Dan Peek - Mar 11, 2020 10:14 am (#2 Total: 3)

    Photo of Author
    Dan Peek
    David, Thank you for the excellent instructions! One more question, is there a file that contains my mailing list configurations?

    Thanks,

    Dan

    Jay Tolbert - Mar 12, 2020 11:30 am (#3 Total: 3)

    Photo of Author
    Jay Tolbert
    Guru
    Guru

    RelayFax
    SecurityPlus
    WebAdmin
    Mailing lists and their settings are stored as .grp files in the form
    list@domain.grp in the MDaemon\App directory.  Probably can just copy
    them to your new server as is.

    Jay Tolbert
    Dickerson Engineering, Inc.