Logout

Alt-N Discussion Groups > MDaemon Discussion Groups > MDaemon Support > Archive > Duplicate incoming emails

Duplicate incoming emails

[Stephan, Stephan]
Stephan Stephan
Stephan Stephan - 11:59pm, Aug 16 2020

I use a smarthost to receive my emails and retrieve them using Mdaemon through domainpop. I have been doing this in this way for years with no issues.

Recently, I would say in the last month, although I have made NO changes to anything anywhere, emails are coming in in duplicate. Every incoming email is delivered to recipients twice.

What could be causing this, given that nothing in my configuration has changed ?

Mdaemon 19.5.3 running on a windows 10 machine (same machine it has always run on)

  (older msg: 4)All MessagesOldest ItemsOlder ItemsNewer ItemsNewest Items

Arron Caruth - Aug 31, 2020 8:11 am (#5 Total: 8)

Yes, I can imagine it is annoying getting duplicate messages.

I just realized these two DomainPOP sessions are logging into two different accounts on your providers mail server.  Each of the accounts being checked by domainPOP received a copy of the message.

Fri 2020-08-21 15:12:55.590: <-- +OK Dovecot ready.

Fri 2020-08-21 15:12:55.590: --> USER stephand@*****ours.com

Fri 2020-08-21 15:12:55.662: <-- +OK

Fri 2020-08-21 15:12:55.662: --> PASS ******

Fri 2020-08-21 15:12:55.591: <-- +OK Dovecot ready.

Fri 2020-08-21 15:12:55.591: --> USER stephansf

Fri 2020-08-21 15:12:55.668: <-- +OK

Fri 2020-08-21 15:12:55.668: --> PASS ******

Two copies of the message were delivered to the same MDaemon account because the same address was parsed out of both messages.

My question now is why are you checking both accounts?  Are these both catch all accounts that receive messages addressed to multiple different people?  Or are they accounts for a single user? Typically you only want to use DomainPOP to retrieve email from “catch all” mailboxes, for example, a mailbox that received all mail for a specfiic domain.   If they are accounts for a single user then in most cases you won’t want to use DomainPOP to collect the messages, you will want to use MultiPOP.

Visit us on
www.mdaemon.com | Facebook | LinkedIn | YouTube
Sent using the
MDaemon Email Server